Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1858 44 cal with target sights from Pietta (WHICH I BOUGHT FROM CABELAS!!) i love the thing. but i can't shoot the" AWESOME ONE" in the club b-cos of the smoke. so i am thinking of getting an R&D drop in conversion cylinder.

This is what i have read: that you can only use 45 long colt cowboy loads, 700 fps to 800 fps.

1. is it all BlackPowder or are there smokeless loads that are for sale?
2. can i use cci pest control shot shells in 45 long colt that are 150g at 1000 fps?
3. can it be used for home defense and is there a recommended load for home defense that is for sale?
4. can i use it for hunting deer. what do you recommend?

now i know that there are a lot of questions but i do not want to buy something that cost more than my gun just to be very disappointed, so if you could please give me tips, thoughts on your experiences and especially answers to my questions then you would have made me and my 1858 remmie very happy, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1858 Conversion Cyl

Four years ago, I made the same purchases from Cabela's, but there was a timing issue with the cylinder. I called and sent the gun and cylinder to R&D and they fixed the issue for me. Regarding the 1858, I recommend purchasing the steel frame and not the brass version, use snap caps for dry firing and keep the hammer on an empty chamber. I use "only" cowboy rated 45 Colt ammunition and the accuracy is very good. I also have the same setup with the Ruger Old Army, but again the ammunition used is "only" cowboy rated. I figure if cowboy rated was used successfully in the Old West, then its good enough today as well. Actually, the cowboy ballistics compares favorably to the 44 Special and 45 ACP. For hunting, I have a Ruger Bisley that can be loaded to a higher rating, but extreme care must be exercised regarding cartridge swapping. I would not try to push the ammunition pressure levels in the conversion cylinder. Just my 0.02's worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info very appreciated, but yesterday i was on the way to Scheels to order one when guess what was in the display case??? a Ruger 7.5 inch with target sights and SS. now that is lucky, they have a blued 5.5 inch (i think) with standard sights left if you're interested!!! so now it seems that i will be looking for a cylinder for the Ruger now!! Kirst sounds like a better choice any advice out there??

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
You mean you found a Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver with 7 1/2 inch barrel in stainless steel?

If so, I have two. With R&D conversion cylinders. Cowboy level loads, 250 grain or 255 grain lead bullet at 800 fps are great in them. They are a very accurate handgun with a roundball loaded over Black powder or Pyrodex and 40 grains of Pyrodex is NOTHING to sneeze at for power.

With the R&D conversion cylinder, it is not a 6 shooter but a 5 shooter. Hammer down on an empty chamber for safety. They are very close to a drop in fit. I bought two at the same time. One fits both my ROAs, and one only fits one of them, so I had to swap them around so they fit but they index perfectly and shoot perfectly.
So, no, fit is not assured, but R&D will take care of you if it doesnt work first try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kirst

I have a Armi San Paolo 1858 Remmington with the Kirst conversion cylinder.Mine is an early model cylinder that does not have the safety chamber.But even so I am very pleased with it.Mine I have to load 4 chambers and set the hammer on the empty.
As far as using other than cowboy loads,under 1000 fps and lead bullets .I understood that the cylinder was not the weak link in this situation.The barrels of the reproduction revolvers are not hardened enough to take jacketed bullets.Nor are the barrels or frames strong enough for the pressures of faster loadings.I think 1000 fps was probably chosen as a good safe loading point for the lawyers.Some have loaded a bit heavier,but me I like my Remmie to much to push it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wow that was fun!!! i finally had time to shoot this past weekend and that was lots of fun, especially after being cooped up for the winter which still will not quit!!

in the Ruger i used 30g of pyrodex p with 250g R.E.A.L conical from a mold by lee with a wad over powder it gives just enough room and is nice and accurate for hunting.

in the proccess i found that my Remmie does better with 457 balls than it did with 454, does any one else have this working for them, still with 30g of pyrodex p and wad over powder??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts