Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New member here.
I just got an 1858 Remington AMI. I thought getting a conversion kit would be easy enough, but no luck. Any suggestions or sources?

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Hi all. New member here.
I just got an 1858 Remington AMI. I thought getting a conversion kit would be easy enough, but no luck. Any suggestions or sources?
Well, since ASM is out of business then you will have to do some measuring of the frame and cylinder to see if any of the various manufacturers of conversion cylinders will fit. I know that the length of the cylinders between Pietta and Uberti is .03 difference as I was sent the wrong cylinder for my 58 frame many years ago. I do not remember which is longer but it won't go in the frame of the other. I just had the cylinder face milled .03 off and paste blued the color back on.
It may be the case that a conversion cylinder made for a Pietta or Uberti will fit but contact the dealer to make sure. I prefer the Kirst version as the firing pins are bored straight through and not at an angle. It's a 5 shot cylinder just like it would have been loaded with hammer down on the empty chamber. There is also Howell conversion cylinders, Taylor's which may be made by Howell plus R&D. Midway, Taylor's, VTI gun parts all sell them, just look around and see what's in stock.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Hi all. New member here.
Hmm, just noticed that your Remington was made by AMI and I'm not familiar with that maker so the info I posted earlier may not be pertinent. If so then good luck and if not then, good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts