Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a uberti 1858 remington. I always wondered why it doesn't have a forcing cone. Would one make it shoot better? I guess if I got one of those cartridge cylinders I'd have to have one wouldn't I? any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
After I read your post...I pulled the cylinder of my favorite black powder handgun, a Ruger Old Army. It has a forcing cone that looks the same depth as my 44 Ruger SBH. If Billy Ruger puts one in, it's needed for best accuracy. This Ruger shoots 35 grs FFg (40 grs without wad), a Wonder Wad, and a .457 RB like a house afire! Years ago, 1960's, I have a pair of Remington "New Model" 1858's that were like new. I don't remember if the original guns had a forcing cone or not.Our standard load was 28 grs FFG and a .454 pure lead ball. I don't think it would be hard for a qualified smith to match the Ruger Old Army's forcing cone. Brownell sells the reamers.I would want a forcing cone for sure if Iwas going to shoot conicals.
Best Regards from The Hammock.....James

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Garry,

I too have looked at mine, and they all have forcing cones!  Perhaps yours missed a step in the machining process!

I would contact Uberti about it.  My hunch is that they will not only make good on the forcing cone, but tune and tighten your gun as well.   From experience they have an excellent customer service support.  And although they are making lots of SAA clones these days, their roots are with black powder guns from long ago... bet they do a first class job for you!

Let us know what happens,

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
6 Posts
Hi,
I have a Pietta 1858 Remington 44 caliber pistol, I am using Pyrodex P powder, the manual I got with the gun says to use I can use 28 grains of Pyrodex P, I have 2 powder measures, 1 set at 30 grains by volume weighs 21.5 grains, 1 set at 30 grains by volume weighs 18.5 grains, what do I use, I am shooting a .454 lead ball.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hi,
I have a Pietta 1858 Remington 44 caliber pistol, I am using Pyrodex P powder, the manual I got with the gun says to use I can use 28 grains of Pyrodex P, I have 2 powder measures, 1 set at 30 grains by volume weighs 21.5 grains, 1 set at 30 grains by volume weighs 18.5 grains, what do I use, I am shooting a .454 lead ball.

I have the same revolver and manual. Mine says a max load for the .44 caliber of 35 grains of black powder. I shoot 30 grains of American Pioneer 3f powder, a wad, and a .451 ball. The accuracy is exceptional. Reading further, I see where you get your data.. the other chart says for Pyrodex use. All I can tell you is I shoot American Pioneer Powder or Goex 3f or Pyrodex. I shoot between 25-30 grains of powder.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,320 Posts
Black powder is always metered by volume. Exact amount your scale shows may or may not match estimates.....

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hi,
So is this powder by weight (scale) or by volume (measure)
By Volume. In fact your question caused me to go and measure out a couple loads from my three different flasks.

My 36 caliber flask measured 20 grains of Pyrodex P by volume.
My .44 caliber revolver flask measured out 30 grains of Pyrodex P by volume
And my 32 caliber flask measured 15 grains by volume. I always use the larger flask (ran out of APP and was shooting Triple Seven 3f out of the revolver the other day).

I find no problem shooting 30 grains of Pyrodex P. I was doing it for years until I changed over to American Pioneer Powder 3f.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pyrodex & volume or weight

Hi,
I have a Hodgdon Manual That lists 28 grains for the 1858 Remington. At the top of the page in bold underlined letters, it says "all loads are listed by weighed charges." This manual was published in 1987 and has never failed me. This load was for a .451 ball or a 45 buckshot. It was chronographed at 910 FPS. For the modern cap and ball Remington it calls for 28 grains of Black Powder @ 724 FPS.
In a vloume fo volume compaison chart, 10 grains of black powder weighs the same as 8 grains of pyrodex. To summarize, I shoot 30-35 gains of Pyrodex P in my 1858 Steel frame Remington(Pietta) with no ill effects and a 2 to 3 inch 25 yd grouping.

Hope this helps-YOu can pull up the Hodgdon website and get their curent loads. Triple 7 is a bit hotter and more expensive.

Green-Shanks

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I was shooting my Pietta 1858 Old Army revolver yesterday. I had got my hands on some Jim Shockey Gold 3f black powder. I was shooting 25 grains by volume measure. I shot 42 rounds and never once had to break the revolver down and clean it. At the end of the day, I took it apart, took the handles off, and just put the whole revolver in a batch of dish soap water. Got a scrub brush and had it clean in no time. Then I took an air compressor to it to blow water out of the parts, and sprayed it down with brake cleaner to displace the moisture. After it dried, I shot it with Rem oil and put it all back together.

Sure was a lot of fun. But this powder shot a little different then the other powders and I got some strange fliers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts