Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Your carbine is no more rare than any other of the same model. Price is dependent on condition and originality.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Your carbine is no more rare than any other of the same model. Price is dependent on condition and originality.
There is also the problem that there were a LOT of Springfield Trapdoor rifles cut down to Carbine by the studio's for use in Westerns. I know I bought one during the MGM armory sale. Trapdoors can be tricky because of this. Yes, I know it's an old thread... but.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yup, there are alot more fake Trapdoor carbines out there than they ever built real ones. Between Bannerman, the movie prop shops and people who "sporterized" their $2 Depresssion era specials to make a handy deer rifle, I've seen bunches.

Good news for shooters is that you can buy a butchered Trapdoor cheap, and do anything to it becuase its collector value is already ruined. I'm thinking of adding a telescoping.butt, pistol grip, Picatinny rail, laser sight and Co-witnessed reflex sight on mine, and drill holes through the butt to hold extra cartridges,, and then paint the whole thing in urban gray camo.:eek:

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Yup, there are alot more fake Trapdoor carbines out there than they ever built real ones. Between Bannerman, the movie prop shops and people who "sporterized" their $2 Depresssion era specials to make a handy deer rifle, I've seen bunches.

Good news for shooters is that you can buy a butchered Trapdoor cheap, and do anything to it becuase its collector value is already ruined. I'm thinking of adding a telescoping.butt, pistol grip, Picatinny rail, laser sight and Co-witnessed reflex sight on mine, and drill holes through the butt to hold extra cartridges,, and then paint the whole thing in urban gray camo.:eek:
Thanks for the laugh, I did enjoy it. Funny... up at DM I used to dial it in for 600 yards and then we'd have a pool as to how many shots actually hit the gong. Ouch Ouch ouch my shoulder! needless to say after a lot of stupid fun, it got passed on and they were informed it was a chop job. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't believe all the things that got sold off when MGM was broken apart. Sid ended up with a bunch of MGs/SMGs that came from MGM. But wait! If you're going to have a telescoping butt, how in the heck are you going to get 45/70 rounds into the butt? ;)

Either laser sight or a small flash lite since they seem to be the trend these days. (ducking and running) ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts