Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you know that a local printer in my town, Arrow Swift Printing, has made a run of reprints of the 1875 WINCHESTER catalog. It is an exact reproduction of the original and is a neat piece of Winchester history!

If one has a '73 Winchester and / or enjoys the history and the lore of the Winchester Repeating Rifles, this catalog is one of the early history books right from the famous Winchester Repeating Arms Company and the earliest known Winchester catalog to profile the famous 1873 Winchester rifle.

The cover is yellow and has 4 Winchester '73 rifles around the border. It contains 68 pages and is 5 ½” x 8 ½“.

The back cover shows an illustration of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company as it appeared in New Haven, Conn. in 1874.

>pages 3-6 has '73 rifle illustrations

> page 7 shows the ammunition components including the bullet profile. Bullets were $6.00 /M and loaded ammunition was $20.00 for 1000 cartriges!

>pages 8-9 illustrate all of the sight options

>pages10-16 show cut away views,, parts listing and illustration and "What to Do" directions

>pages17-22 explain the benefits of the new Model of 1873 and the purpose and poularity of Winchester Repeating Rifles

>pages 23 to 40 - contain testimonials (1873-1875) of folks that had used the '73 rifle with great success including such notables as "Buffalo Bill" Cody, William Lyman and Billy Dixon of Adobe Wells fame.

>pages 41 to 42 - testimonials on the Model 1866 rifle .

>pages 43 to 48 - testimonials on the Henry Rifle dated 1861-1867

>pages 49 to 66 - illustrate the different Metallic Cartridges made by Winchester at that time and is the first Winchester catalog to do so.

Here are a few exerpts:

page 17:
"The first and most important improvement in this new model, consists of adapting it to the use of a longer and a center fire cartridge, holding a charge of 40 grains of powder instead of 25, as in the new model of 1866,retaining the same caliber .44/100, and the same weight of ball, viz., 200 grains.
The effect of this change is to increase the initial velocity of the arm from about 1,125 f.p.s. to 1,325 f.p.s., ..............

page 20:
"...... The records show that all decisive actions of history, with muzzle loaders, have been fought at a distance not exceeding 50 to 150 yards. Making all possible allowances for improvement in modern arms of precision, 500 yards will more than cover the distance at which decisive conflicts will be fought.
.......The theory with which the Winchester Repeating Rifle has been constructed is, to produce an arm effective an accurate at all practicle ranges, up to 500 to 600 yards, with the least weight of ammunition, and possessing unparalleled rapidity of firing."

If you would be interested in obtaining a copy of this historical catalog, you can contact Arrow Swift Printing by phone (814) 838-6089, or by fax: (814) 835-6605, or mail, Kmart Plaza West, 2899 West 26th. Street, Erie, PA 16506. Sorry but he doesn’t have email or a web address. His price is $16.50 which includes 1st class mail and handling.

It sure is a neat piece of Winchester history!

John

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I enjoy old catalogs. I have the 10 and 14 Old Gun Catalog books and have spent many quiet evenings with them. The reprint of the Bannermans catalog is another one to make an evening pass quickly. The cartridge drawings in the old catalogs hold my attention.

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An original 1875 WInchester catalog in good condition is worth several hundred dollars to a collector.

Arrow Swift Printing is no longer in business since the owner retired. I have several copies of the 1875 WInchester Catalog reprint that he did.
If anyone is interested in one please send me a PM.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts