Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's a friend of my brothers. He lives in Nome Alaska. He is a certified Grizzly fanatic however from what I understand. As is my brother. That Bear has a skull that scores 26 3/16, my brothers is 26 1/16. Both Bears are in the top 50 all time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres one I got last year for comparison. This is an average size Bear for the area. The average Bear will square out at 6 1/2 to 7 feet. This one was about 6'10" as I remember. Again about average, compare this Bear to the other and you get an idea of how big a Boone and Crockett Bear is. They measure skulls for the book. Mine was about 20 9/16", minimum for the book is 24 inches even.

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=2149551

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Joel,
nice trophy. The color must make for a fabulous rug? What caliber rifle do you use for grizzly hunting? I'm very seriously considering a move to the Anchorage area within the next two years.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used a 300 Weatherby twice, and this year will be using a 338 Win mag. I don't live in Alaska though. I want to be able to take any reasonable shot. My brother uses a 300 Weatherby as well. 300 Winchesters are real popular, so are 30-06's. These Bears aren't usually as big as a Brown Bear, of course when your talking about a Boone and Crockett Bear, there pretty large. Friend of my brothers uses a 30-30, I wouldn't, another used a 243, he bent the barrel on his other while hunting and used the rifle they brought for wolverine. Ended up killing a Boone and Crockett Bear. It took more than one shot though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Joel B - Nice bears ! One of these days I'm going to get up there and give hunting one of those big boys a try! But not with a .243 or 30-30, I value my hide and don't want one of those bears to decorate his den with me! :D With my luck I'll get one and then have to put an addition on the house for him! :) Do you use an outfitter or just hunt with your brother ? CEJ..

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just go with my brother. I'm fortunate in that my brother probably has as much experience as a good outfitter does. He lives right in the prime area for Boone and Crockett Bears. Plus he spends lots of time glassing, looking, studying habitat and just enjoying Grizzly Bears. Everytime I've been up there hunting, (4 times, soon to be 5) I've seen Bears, a couple times real close up. I'm just a blue collar guy and probably wouldn't be able to afford to go on a hunt if it wasn't for my brother living there. I'm "VERY" fortunate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts