Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it took a while but my 1886 is finally back and reworked for the 45-90. I have not done much load development as of yet. I have used the PMC factory 300gr cast bullet loads. They are very light only running 1350 fps. I have worked up 1 300 gr load so far. It is the sierra 300gr HP over 63grs. of Reloader 7. This is a max load and exits the muzzle of my extra-lite at 2450 fps. Yes it does kick a tad. So far no problems the gun feeds beautifully and shoots well.

Anyone else working up loads? I would be interested in the reults you've gotten. I have the usual reference books and am waiting to get some of the more medern powders like VV N-133 and AA2015 and try them as well. I need to order some Beartooth cast bullets and give those a try to. I had the chamber done with a fairly long thraot so hopefully all the designs will work in it.

Garth

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Bear Country Sports in Kodiak Alaska did the work for me. I use Starline brass also. I didn't know you could do the full length 50-110 on the 71 action. I thought about doing that on the 1886 but this gun was already in progress. I also thought of necking the 50-110 down to 45 sort of a super 450 Alaskan. If he can do that work on a 71 I might be interested I have a Browning 71 carbine in 348 AI. Where can I find Dave Clay?

Garth

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.