Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an '86 Winchester I have two fired cases from the gun. There is what I would call a crater in the used primer. The case looks normal. The loads were bought at Gerald Quintel Custom Ammunition. It is .45-70 Remington cases reformed as usual with what I believe to be 200 Gr. flat point bullets maybe from Hornady? The primers are brass colored. The usual firing pin dent is accompanied with a shiny raised ring of metal around the outer perimeter of the dent. What could be the cause? The shoulder seems to be crisp than the unfired but they are the first firing of the brass. I almost forgot, this is a .33 Winchester. Thanks 'dito :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bandito: relax all is probably normal. If you look at the breech bolt face you'll see that the ejector is in the face of the bolt. On some of the old ones it was large enough to almost touch the firing pin hole. On newer ones they made them more like the M71 so they are set back a bit from the hole. As there is a tiny gap between the bolt face and the ejector you get a bit of primer metal flow into the seam. Doesn't hurt a thing as long as you are watching other signs for excess pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Custom ammo

Does anyone know if Gerald Quintel is still alive or in business? I have some ammo that I'm trying to track down. I have custom ammo with his name on it. On the side of the box, he wrote 9.5x47r 255 gr. On the base of the shells it is stamped 43 mauser with a "BB" between what looks like kangaroos on either side. Perhaps he meant 9.5x43r? I got the box of ammo when I bought a very old, but in extremely excelent shape, single shot bolt action rifle. Octagon barrel, lands and grooves are MINT & crisp, schnabel fore end, english stock with the round hand grip. It's all case colored, receiver, barrel, doubble- set triggers and highly engraved. I was told it is an 1888 commision mauser. I'm looking for the correct brass and loading data. I have shot all but 2 rounds and it. I have done some research and I believe the cases were cut down and the bottle neck reformed??
It is an awesome gun to shoot! Can anyone help? If needed I can figure out how to post photos.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if Gerald Quintel is still alive or in business? I have some ammo that I'm trying to track down. I have custom ammo with his name on it. On the side of the box, he wrote 9.5x47r 255 gr. On the base of the shells it is stamped 43 mauser with a "BB" between what looks like kangaroos on either side. Perhaps he meant 9.5x43r? I got the box of ammo when I bought a very old, but in extremely excelent shape, single shot bolt action rifle. Octagon barrel, lands and grooves are MINT & crisp, schnabel fore end, english stock with the round hand grip. It's all case colored, receiver, barrel, doubble- set triggers and highly engraved. I was told it is an 1888 commision mauser. I'm looking for the correct brass and loading data. I have shot all but 2 rounds and it. I have done some research and I believe the cases were cut down and the bottle neck reformed??
It is an awesome gun to shoot! Can anyone help? If needed I can figure out how to post photos.
Thanks
I am new here , but most likely you need a place like photbucket.com or another photo hosting service

I am too looking for ammo ,I am looking for .33wcf . I am new to the forum

thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bandito, BCStocker is right on. It's when you see holes in the primers that you worry. They are just good near max. loads. For you other guy's, have you considered making your own reloads? I don't know where you live, but it isn't that hard. jimmiefingers, you already have the fired cases to measure so you already are half way there to finding out what the rifle realy is. Bore diamiter is all that is left and it looks like you have that down pat. Just ask what you need to know and there is some very knowledgable people on the forum that can help out. Lou :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts