Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finall got one in but not the 45-90 I wanted so I guess I’ll have to rent the throat Reamer again as it’s a 46-70. Sorry the guns still in jail at the ffl, calif you know. With the days they are open and closed I’ll be picking it up the 23f. I’ll send pics once in my possession. I am wondering though what kind of wood finish they use now, to me looks like no finish at all and very dried out. I’ll be running some blo in. Have to say though the blueing is remarkable with a very deep black highly polished look on the reciever , barrel and buttplate. It’s just that the wood doesn’t match the blueing so I’ll work on that. I’ll be in touch when I have it in my hands. Oh btw, it feels every bit as heavy as my 26 inch browning 1886.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant 45-70 not 46-70. Well one more thing I’d like to add, the front sight bead is so small I can barely see it. It must be like a 1/16 bead so I’ll need a 3/32 once I determine how high the front sight is.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went from the gunshop straight to the range, I have a bag of spare front sights at home, should have brought them along. I placed targets at 50 and one at 75 yards. At 50 the rifle shoots 8 inches low and that’s with the rear sight all the way up lol. I didn’t fire too many rounds as it was pointless with no way to fix it right there. Oh yeah the loads are very close to the factory Remington 405 grain bullet at 1370 FPS . Got it back here tapped the front sight out and it is .411 high . I replaced it with one that is .310. I’ll be out there another day this wknd, hopefully this will correct it. I did expect the gun to shoot much closer than this with something close to factory specs!

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were friends yesterday but fell in love today. I was counting on that 45-90 and already reminded why. Same problem with no throat so I guess I’ll be renting the reamet again. I had to install a lower front sight and now it’s shooting great. Great for my older eyes are a 5 1/2 circle at 100. If I can put most in that I’m fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sweat. Where do you rent a reamer from? The 2 local gunsmiths in my neck of the woods don't seem to want to take on this project on either of my Browning 86's.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4drentals.com they’re in Montana and will ship it to you.. I’m trying to remember but I think I had 3 days to use it and send it back. I looked for a smith to do mine also but the only so called gunsmiths around here can only change parts on semi auto pistols . They aren’t qualified for anything else .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that bad just take your time, hardest part is putting the gun back together , real pain in the A— -.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gary, can you clarify what is hard about putting the gun back together?
I thought you bought a take down 1886.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wasn’t smart enough to get the take down , I wish I had . The lever , locking lugs and bolt have to come out in order to have a clear space for the Reamer .all that comes out pretty easily but everything has to line up pretty perfectly to go back together for example when lining up the lever to the bolt the ejector invariably wants to come out ,actually being pushed out.. you need 3 hands lol . You need to push in on the firing pin and ejector at the same time while trying to line up the lever. So you have to line all that up including the carrier link , kind of a trick putting that back in,. The best way after watching a video of it half a dozen times is to line the parts up and hold them together with a rubber band or close pin and ease it all back into the reciever . Oh and that includes the hammer . The locking lugs go back in fairly easily except for one as you need to raise the lever up so it will clear and then push in. Let me put it this way, if I had to do it for a living I’d starve lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I did , it’s pretty straight forward , just use plenty of oil and go slow. I’m not eager to do this new one but it has to be done as their aren’t any smiths local that will or can do it. Looks like most of these 86 rifles all have no throat . It would be a simple task for the factory to correct this . Hey I even tried fire lapping on the browning and it didn’t do one thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts