Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want a good btb capable of bringing down black bear.  I am looking at the 265 wfngc and the 280 wfngc but i can't decide between the two.  Does anyone have suggestions on which would be the better.  Also any other suggestions on bullet selection would be appreciated...

thanks

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Both are excellent bullets and are well up to the job.....however, you will find they feed only marginal in the 1894's. The bullet that feeds super slick is the BTB .432" 250 gr. LFN GC. We have pushed this bullet with 24.5 grs of WW296 with a velocity over 1800fps out of the 1894P. It has a .300" meplat and has killed upwards to 50 animals here in Florida over the past 2 years, some rather large hogs. We lean toward it due to it's accuracy and feeding qualities in the Marlin.
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
It's really a shame that Marlin isn't reading this and other consumer bulletin boards in regards to modifying their guns to feed most/all of the really good bullet shapes and weights. It's not a surprise though, they appear to be on a track of cost cutting. For example, a very good friend just bought a new 336C. Guess what, Marlin has eliminated the drilled and tapped holes for a receiver sight. My friend was told by Brownell's on Saturday that it was done as a cost saving measure. My goodness, how much does it cost to drill and tap a couple of holes!

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sadly, it is true about the feeding problems...  i am currently shooting meister 240gr. swc and they do feed poorly sometimes, but not all times.  However when it does happen it is very annoying.  Thanks for the suggestion of the 250 gr btb. Feeding ability definatley comes into my consideration, especially when hunting somewhat dangerous animals.

thanks

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Believe me it's not just your 1894. My 444P hangs up sometimes using that notoriously tough-to-feed (note the implied sarcasim) Speer 270-grain Gold Dot.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i visit the marlin firearms post room regularly. I would say 25% of the posts have something to say about a marlin feeding problems.  You would think marlin would take some sort of action after seeing all of the posts on their own message board. oh well, i guess i will just have to look elsewhere for lever guns until i here of some improvement. But anyway, my concern for now is to make the most of the gun i have.  That is the great advantage of reloading!!!!!

quicksilver

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try the LBT 325 gr LWFNGC in the Marlin 1894. My Cowboy model feeds this bullet perfectly.
If you watch the timing of the lifter, you will see that the long bullet gets pushed into the chamber before the lifter gets a chance to raise it past the opening to the chamber.
You may have to trim the cases to get the proper OAL for your rifle.
The WFN design gets pushed up too soon and hangs up on the top of the chamber. The FN design like the 250, 290, and 330 all feed fine in my gun also.
I used to have an older Micro groove carbine and it fed anything I put in it so I think Marlin changed something. Anyone out there have both guns to compare the fit and timing?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sold my 1894 Marlin 44 mag. due to feeding problems and bought a Win. 94 Pack rifle in 44 mag.

Seems to feed anything i have tryed so far.
Has anyone else worked with one of these rifles ?

I also have a Win.94 Legacy in 45 Colt that feeds perfect and handles mag type loads with out and problems.

oldpete

·
Registered
339 Posts
my vote go's to the 290LFNGC .432 they are a very good balance between the 265grainers and the 330grainers. In My wifes 1975 1894 20" barreled
Marlin they cycle without a problem crimped at the groove and do they shoot..lets just say you would not believe me!................................Marko

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also have a 94 Legacy that feeds everything.  It is very accurate with a 325 gr fn gc and 19.5 grains of H110.  This is over 1400 fps on my chrono.  Max, by the book , is 23 or 23 grains.  Not a screaming hot load but it shoots well.  

The Timber Carbine I have is sensitive to length.  I like a 310 gr fn gc that needs to be seated past the crimp groove and crimped with a Lee die.  It will feed the 270 gr Speer very well.  The problem is I sectioned one of them and the jacket is very thin.  I suspect it would blow up at 444 velocities.  I have been meaning to try the Hornady 265 gr, they are supposed to be made for the increased velocity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 265gr Hornandy 44 bullet has a jacket that is 3 times thicker than most handgun bullets.

This bullet is very tough and accurate. From a 444 this slug will penetrate 3/8 in mild steel boiler plate at 200 yds.

The 265 gr weight is just right for the slow twist of the 44 and 444 Marlins.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just how thick is the jacket?..........Marko

1 - 12 of 12 Posts