Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten a Marlin 1894s in 44mag cal. It wears a 20" barrel. I have a few questions. Is there any modification that can be made so that this gun will feed longer than standard bullets, 300+ grn BTB. Also need a good full power load using the BTB 280gr WFNGC. This is the bullet I shoot in my SRH. Also what kind of velocity should I expect with 280gr and 20" barrel

·
Registered
107 Posts
44 Joe, Can't answer your question specifically, but I can tell you that a lot of the Marlin M1894 rifles (mine is in .357 mag) can be quite tempermentall about overall cartridge length.  Mine has been back to Marlin once and feeds .357 Mag loads fine as long as they do not exceed the recommended length in the reloading manual.  If you spend any time on the SASS wire there is usually quite a bit of discussion on this very issue.  Also try Marlin Talk at the official Marlin website - it is a good source of information on shooting/loading Marlins.  Odessa

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Odessa, and Jack R. In Marshall's tip he says that the cartridge lifter needs to be modified. While looking at my Marlin owners manual it does not show a cartridge lifter. The part that I think it is carrier assembly ref.#8 in my manual. I want to be sure I'm on the same page as Marshall, and Jack R. Also still need a good full power deer load for this in BTB 280gr WFNGC.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Good full-power load?

Work your way up to about 22 grains of 296 or H110 & a magnum or Winchester Large Pistol primer.

Don't know what velocities you'll get w/20" barrel but 7.5" Super Blackhawk will give about 1350fps.  I'd guess 1700-1800fps in the rifle.

That ought to cure what ails' ya.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried Marshall's modification on the shell carrier, it worked great. That load sounds like a great Deer/Black Bear load. Thanks for all the help.

·
Banned
41 Posts
44 joe,
Just fixin to reply about the carrier, when your last post came through.
Glad to be of service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
44 Joe,

Your Marlin may get sticky trying to extract the kind of maximum loads your SRH handles. Work up to them and stop when the extraction gets tighter.

I wouldn't worry about it if your 1894s can't take the full snort H-110 loads (mine can't) because that 20" barrel buys you a lot of extra velocity without burning as much powder.

enjoy it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts