Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and wondering if any of you guys are into old Winchesters. I just got a .30 WCF 1894 with a 20 inch extra lightweight barrel, takedown, full mag and rifle butt.
This is a special order short rifle according to the books, it even has a forend that is 8 and 3/8 inch long, one inch shorter than standard, like Madis's book says. It was made in 1908 and is in really good shape. Anybody know how scarce these are, I've seen a lot of Winchesters and this is the first I've seen. Sorry no pics right now I'm technologically retarded.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sounds like you have snagged a great rifle of fair scarcity. As short rifles go the 20" is the most common, however if it is truely a lightweight barrel this is quite rare in any of their guns, The take down feature is common on full lenght rifles less common on short rifles. Speaking for all here we would really appreciate some photos as this is a uncommon combo. I know what you mean by technology retarted as I am myself. I had to marry a girl that could do these things for me. Lastly a bit of advise I would like to offer you. Dont take the rifle apart, consider it a solid frame. Most takedown guns are taken down more than they are shot. They were not meant to be taken down so often. This gets them loose and inaccurate, and even though they have a system to tighten them it is maginal at best. Lastly dont be dissapointed inits poor accuracy, most take down Winchester had difficulty keeping a 5" group at 100 yds when they were new and tight, just the way it was. Anyhow sounds like you got a keeper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I plan on hanging on to this one, it's the first truly rare gun I've come across. I agree with you on the takedown angle and will leave it one piece. In a few weeks I will post some pics for other poor souls afflicted by this horrible disease.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
FWIW

9 3/8" was the standard length forend for the Model 1894 Rifle.
8 3/8" was the standard length forend for the Model 1894 Short Rifle.
7 3/8" is seldom seen and found only on ultra-short rifles (16" or shorter bbls)

"Rifle" forends, of course, have a forend cap ILO a barrel band.

The standard dimensions of all Model 94 barrels, regardless of style or length, are a nominal 11/16" at the muzzle & 7/8" at the receiver for rifles; and 9/16" muzzle, 27/32" receiver for carbines.

Extra-light rifle barrels will have the carbine's 9/16" muzzle diameter, regardless of length, but the muzzle diameters are actuality slightly different on different calibers - as small as 1/2" or less for some.

Some pics would be nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the barrel dimensions, I will check that tonight. The barrel is a smaller diameter than the mag tube at the muzzle and has a small integral ramp on it. The front sight and rear sight are not original but I'm sure I can find originals for it. I've been told the s/n is too high to get a letter on the gun but from the wear patterns on the blue it would be safe to say that it never had a tang peep on it.
Some pics will be coming soon if I can figure out this camera, Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts