Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 1894P for my Dad about ten years ago when he had cancer. At the time, he was too sick to shoot it. It has since became mine, and after sitting in the safe for years I am wanting to get it set up for my son to shoot.

I shipped it off to Bob Munden for an action job. Prior to shipping to Bob, I had not shot the gun, but I had loaded it a few times to know that the action was terrible. The loading (picking up a shell from magazine tube and putting it in the chamber) was the issue. It was like the cases were too long. The ejected brass would be all scratched up. You really had to work the action hard to even get the things to go in.

When it came back from Bob it was no better. I called Bob and he said that I should have told him and he would have looked at it. He said to send it back and he would fix it. I'm not bad mouthing Bob at all...he does phenomenal work on revolvers. He said that he shot round nose bullets in his Marlin and to give that a try. I have tried everything now, and they all seem to hang up. The only thing that doesn't is 44 SPC (but why have a Mag if all you shoot is SPC?)

Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be fixed?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Couple things to start. First, make sure the screw holding the loading gate is tight. When they get even a little bit loose, the action can be a bear to cycle.

Second, and mostly, exactly what bullets and loads were you trying to cycle through the gun? Unlike the 1895, the 1894 can be very sensitive to bullet shape and loa of the cartridge. The devil is in the details here. Not at all like shooting them out of a revolver.

Third, how does 240gr factory ammo cycle through the rifle?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
AK shooter; Dont feel bad...When I bought my brand new 444 XLR it was just as bad as yours. I went through the entire action, piece by piece, and reworked everything. The lifter/bolt interface (where the bolt engages the cartridge to pick up and feed it out of the lifter and into the chamber.....I had to TIG weld that area on the lifter, and recut the interface! Then I reworked/reset the timing. Now my gun will feed and cycle flawlessly!!! These actions will cycle butter smooth, and not tear up cartridges, but in "some" cases it takes a lot of fine tuning to get them to do so. What I found with mine, as others like you have with yours, is that internal part fit, finish, and timing on some of Marlins leverguns is terrible, but, that doesnt mean that they cant be made into a "precision" piece of equipment!!! I had one of our conservation officers (during a tag check into the deer season), see my modified 444 and he was very interested in what I had done. He was a life long levergun guy. I handed him the unloaded gun, and he asked if he could cycle the action...I said, "please do!!!!" You should have seen the look on his face when he cycled the action.!!! I handed him a few rounds, and told him to load em up, and cycle the action again...which he did! You should have seen him...looked like a kid in a candy store!!! He said that he had "never" cycled such a smooth, and effortless levergun! He took my name and number!..........So, dont get frustrated or lose interest in your rifle...there is hope!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts