Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly, several members had this particular rifle on order or was waiting for their local dealer to get one in stock. Has anybody received their rifle yet? I'm just curious of well you like the rifle/cartridge combo.

I sent my 95 off in the spring for some customizing and rechambering so I don't expect to see it for several more months. Just curious how everyone was liking their 405 1895's.

·
Banned
126 Posts
I have seen one or two posts on GunsAmerica for overpriced new .405s, so I believe they are out there, somewhere.

The other interesting thing I read is one (or more) posts concerning the taking of leftover .270 1895 Brownchesters and the "company" having them rebarreled to .405s. Anybody heard that one?

dclark

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't, but... My "leftover" 270 went to ZHat to turn into a 411 Hawk. That required a new barrel, not enough barrel to rebore to the larger caliber. Since the 405 is the same dia as the 411, I would suspect Brownchester would follow that principle. I haven't looked at the case specs, would there be any modification needed on the bolt face for such a job, or just to rebarrel and chamber?

·
Banned
126 Posts
The rim diameter on a .405 is .543 according to Cartridges of the World. .270's rim is .473. That would indicate to me that some modification might be needed. The original rifle, however, used cartridges with both of those diameter rims.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds interesting. If there is a bit of modification to the original rifle required, it seems to me that Winchester or Browning or Miroku or whomever that does this is really going out of their way to please the customer. I'm under the impression that Ruger, Remington and others would be hard pressed to modify an existing firearm to such extent unless it went through a company sanctioned custom shop. I'm sure they are charging folks for the service, but they seem to be responding to customer wishes in a very positive light. I'm impressed.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely. Moreover, just try to send a rifle back to any other company and request a bolt modification or rechambering job. Could you see Ruger or Remington's response to someone sending back a 300 Winny asking to rechamber to 358 Norma or a 375 H&H and asked to have it turned to a 416 Rigby? I don't mean to put down Remington or Ruger, please don't get me wrong, I'm just very impressed with that level of service. I do not expect Remington or Ruger to provide that service, unless it's something Remington does through their custom shop. Kudo's to Winchester (and Miroku) for listening to their customers and working to find a pleasant solution. Very well done, very well, indeed. I wonder if through the slow sales of the 270 this was something they anticipated due to popularity of Teddy Roosevelt? Maybe they made up quite a few extra barrels for this purpose, since the 270 wasn't an original chambering. At any rate, I applaud the direction they are taking with this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I picked up a .405 Win 1895 the other week. It is intesting indeed. It is serial #000x. Thats right a four digit # and one of the first ones of the line. It is finished in the old style grade1. That is, it has a matte blue finish with scroll engraving. The .405 for 2002 is suposed to be bright blue with no engraving, as per the origanls. I called the factory historian, he is checking it out, as they don't have all the 3 cataloged yet. Pretty interesting, no , I haven't been anle to bring myself to shoot it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
FA, if he doesn't respond, it's because he has already headed out to the back country for a few weeks (job related).

When you see posts again, give him a holler.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I finally got my 405. Nice rifle, shoots very well with Hornady factory and some handloads. Rocks are not safe at 700 with a cast gas check 300 grain and 57 grains of Varget. I do have some questions about sling attachment and resighting. A barrel band sling is very good looking but requires removal of the front sight base. Of course it could be replaced with a barrel band front sight base and a partridge style sight. The rear sight is an interesting propisition as the only option is an Ashley rear or maybe something original. I do have call in to Gary Fellers in Fort Worth about an original sight of some kind. I do like the rifle a lot, enough to sell a 444 that was set up pretty nice. But two rifles that shoot a 300 @ 2200 ???????????. My only wish to change the 95 is to be a pistol grip but I suppose with enough money someone could change it.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Moose & Cub,

Keep us posted with the .405's. They really do sound interesting, but beyond me at the moment. I am still working around a .348, a .45-70 and a .450 Alaskan. My biggest problem is going to be which to carry which day for elk this fall.

By the way, how is the bolt face set up on the .405? Would it have to modified to handle an '06 size case? Is it recessed for the head of the cartridge, or flat with the extractor and ejector? Inquiring (or just dumb) minds want to know.

dclark

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello again folks,
Just got back in and have some catching up to do. CUB, your rifle sounds really interesting, and though I don't have any real collector pieces, I would have a hard time bringing myself to shoot that rifle until I found out some more info from Winchester. Sounds like a real winner.

My 1895 is still in Z-Hats hands and don't expect it back for some time. Regardless of it's collector's value, it sounds like a really unique rifle and one you can take pride in owning.

I haven't heard much from anyone up here or on any other forum that has been shooting the 95 405's. Should be a real treat though. Let's know what you find out about the uniquness of it and if you decide to as a hunting rifle, how it shoots and performs.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CUB,
I'd definitely check with Winchester, or you could give it to me and get yourself another. I wouldn't mind that low serial #, wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. :p

Moose,
I sent a 95 to ZHat to rebarrel and am having a barrel band sling swivel installed on it. I didn't care too much for the original sights so I had those changed also, but that's a personal preference. I supposed you could put a post stud on the schnabel forearm without too much difficulty, but you'd have to really be careful not to split it.

Keep us informed on what you guys decide to do, these are really interesting rifles.

·
Banned
126 Posts
cub,

How much does that rifle weigh?

Are you talking about abusive felt recoil? There is a rumor that it was severe enough to preclude sales over the years, based upon the stock design and the cartridge. Any truth?

dclark

·
Registered
362 Posts
It was only two shots, but, I expected worse with the steel but plate. I was seated with one elbow on the bench. I will use some kind of pad fpr sighting in. But I will do it. I think it weighs around 8 lbs. I have not weighed it. It can't be to much worse then a .45-70 or .444 with a 300 gr bullet at 2200fps. (except for the steel butplate! )

1 - 20 of 31 Posts