Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some trouble with my 45-70. I was getting a few miss fires and then it got worse and would hardly fire at all. I had it to a gun smith and he put in a new firing pin and it worked ok for about 40 rounds and the started to miss fire again. I took it apart and looked it over and it all looked ok to me I did straiten the rear firing pin safety spring a little and now it shoot better but still will give me a miss fire one or two rounds out of 20.
I am thinking of trying a one piece firing pin in it and was wondering if any one could help me find one or it any one has another idea of how to stop the miss fires.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
north of 53; When I build my custom/modified Marlins I always change three items...the ejector, the trigger, and the firing pin. I use the Wild West Happy Trigger and Bearproof Ejector, and a Long Hunter one piece firing pin. After I install the one piece firing pin I set the mainspring tension (hammer spring) to give me the most controllable trigger possible with guaranteed ignition. Using the Long Hunter firing pin, I have never had any mis-fire issues. You may also want to insure that your primers are fully seated in the case. A primer that is not fully seated will "give" when the firing pin hits it and not ignite reliably.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
north of 53; Thats great! That will eliminate a possible firing pin spring issue as well. If that doesnt help, a few small washers on the mainspring shaft (hammer spring) to bring the mainspring tension up a bit should make it a done deal. When I build my rifles, I replace the factory items with those mentioned above...this eliminates any issues that could affect function and reliability, and makes these Marlins suitable for any game hunting situation you may encounter. Why take the chance of having a failure when that trophy....or a dangerous game animal is in your sights. Good luck! FT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts