Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been bitten. Im changing my gun collection and breaking up the Rugers. At my friends shop there is a 1895 GBL .45-70. I need a close range brush gun anyway, so it seems like a perfect choice. 18.5" barrel, laminated stock and a 6 round mag tube.

Im assuming a 45-70 doesnt have to be loaded to it's full capacity to take a whitetail deer at 50-70 yards.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Oh my goodness yes. Make sure there isn't another deer standing behind the first!

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dad has taken quite a few deer using his marlin and factory remington 405s which clock around 1330.
personally I enjoy a nice stout load.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Well, welcome to the dark side...:cool: lol. I have a standard 1895 and since I do not reload for it, have searched for a good load(s). I have found that the LE 325gr is one of the least expensive and also one of the better rounds performance-wise. So I've used it in both my 1895 and Ruger #1 in 45-70 and have been very pleased with it's accuracy (no critters shot as yet tho). That 325gr bullet is the same one used in the .450 LE load so there's no chance of bullet failure in any typical scenario, IMHO. The .450 shoots that same bullet a good bit faster than a standard 45-70LE load.

I have also found some other 400gr loads that pack a very good punch for great prices. Bitterroot Valley makes one and HSM makes another. We're talking 400gr bullet at 1800-1900 FPS. That's the same speed other companies load their 300gr bullets to, so it's a powerful load, in either case. The prices are excellent and the BVM also shoots very well in my 1895.

You do not need such performance for typical deer or even black bear, I'd admit, but I like the versatility of the 400gr and LE loads. The LE load is certainly one of the flattest, if not the flattest factory load out there. Buffalo Bore, Grizzly Ammo and others make really potent rounds that will fire fine in an 1895, but if 400gr @ 1900 FPS ain't gonna get it done, perhaps I don't need to be there...lol :eek:

Enjoy your new rifle!

PG 10 in this catalogue has the 45-70 loads they produce:
http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/Retail.pdf

Reasonable & powerful load shoots well in my 1895:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM905-5.html

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually I'm all for more power, and would normally go for the .450 insteads. But there is just something nostalgic about the .45-70 that I like :)

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Usually I'm all for more power, and would normally go for the .450 insteads. But there is just something nostalgic about the .45-70 that I like :)
Well, from a fella who already owned a BLR/.450 before buying both the 1895/45-70 and Ruger #1/45-70, I'd say I understand what yer sayin'.:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I went to the 450Marlin... mainly because my oldest son got one and I grew to love it.

I am not trying to talk you out of the 45/70… but the 450M is VERY nice and very easy for which to load.

I have mine in a XLR.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There is nothing the .450 can do that the 45-70 cant. and even if you wanted to use factory ammo you cant go to wall-mart to pick up a box of 450. Handloading the 45-70 will give you all the power youll ever need.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
There is nothing the .450 can do that the 45-70 cant. and even if you wanted to use factory ammo you cant go to wall-mart to pick up a box of 450. Handloading the 45-70 will give you all the power youll ever need.
Now there's a controversial stance..lol:D. I simply say this, to that! The .450 is also chambered in a BLR rated at over 62,000PSI vs about 47,000PSI (allowed) in an 1895. If someone wanted a repeater, not a Ruger #1 or 1885 Browning SS rifle, he/she might be wise to buy a stronger, less prone to jam, BLR. Oh, and also a rifle that can utilize pointed bullets as well (due to the magazine). The internet is the only place I buy ammo anymore, I've bought my license, but not a single bullet in Wally World the last 6 or 7 yrs.

If a hunter/shooter does not handload and prefers to spend less than $2 or $3 per ROUND for hot ammo, then they would be, perhaps, wise to buy a .450 in either a BLR or 1895M.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Now there's a controversial stance..lol:D. I simply say this, to that! The .450 is also chambered in a BLR rated at over 62,000PSI vs about 47,000PSI (allowed) in an 1895. If someone wanted a repeater, not a Ruger #1 or 1885 Browning SS rifle, he/she might be wise to buy a stronger, less prone to jam, BLR. Oh, and also a rifle that can utilize pointed bullets as well (due to the magazine). The internet is the only place I buy ammo anymore, I've bought my license, but not a single bullet in Wally World the last 6 or 7 yrs.

If a hunter/shooter does not handload and prefers to spend less than $2 or $3 per ROUND for hot ammo, then they would be, perhaps, wise to buy a .450 in either a BLR or 1895M.
Yes, the #1 is the stronger action but I stick to my statement as all of the african big 5 were taken with a guide gun and garrett cartridges.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Yes, the #1 is the stronger action but I stick to my statement as all of the african big 5 were taken with a guide gun and garrett cartridges.
For all intents and purposes, the 45-70 & .450 handloaded and fired in like rifles are IMO pretty much ballistic twins. I simply think the opportunity exists for someone to use the stronger action of the BLR and .450 to their advantage. However that 127 yr headstsrt the 45-70 has on the .450 keeps it "at the top of the charts" as the saying goes.:D As always, it's tough to argue with success!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
They are both fine rounds... you pay your money your take your chances...

I chose a 450 am very happy i did. Opinions may vary

·
Registered
45 Posts
the .45-70 has more case capacity than the .450 and can be loaded hotter. that being said who really needs more power than either can produce with factory loads.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice! I like the brown way better than the black laminant. You thinking about adding a scope or apature sight?

Nope, it will be strictly for 100 yard and less shots, in a brushy area around my parents land. A long shot there is easily bow range, but I don't do archery.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
the .45-70 has more case capacity than the .450 and can be loaded hotter. that being said who really needs more power than either can produce with factory loads.
I simply say, that's not necessarily true when you talk different powders and a stronger case in a stronger action.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nope, it will be strictly for 100 yard and less shots, in a brushy area around my parents land. A long shot there is easily bow range, but I don't do archery.
Cant beat that for brush hunting. My guide gun will put 5 rounds in under 1.5in. at 60yds. w/a williams peep and factory front post. My most accurate load is remington 405 with 50gr H322 for moderate recoil.:cool:

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts