Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first lever action rifle and have had my mind set on putting a tang sight on it for no other reason than I like the way they look.  Now that I am researching this in more detail, I am beginning to wonder if that is such a good idea.  The left side of the receiver on my particular rifle was not drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, but the top of the receiver was.  It looks like the Ashley sight is the only one that will mount without the aid of a gunsmith (which really isn't a big deal).  I am really torn between the Ashley and the Marble tang sight (I really like the idea of the micrometer type adjustments).  I will use the rifle primarily for fiddling with cast bullets throughout the year, and some hunting in the fall.  I have heard that there is potential for putting out an eye with a tang sight on heavy recoling rifles like this (which has me a little concerned).  I have also been advised by others that this is not a problem.  I don't want to buy a sight, only to find out I am not satisfied (or blind in one eye), and end up buying another.  Sorry about the length of the post, but this has been keeping me awake the last few nights pondering which way to go.  Anxious to hear your thoughts on this!

Regards,

Jerry

·
Beartooth Regular
2,155 Posts
Jerry,
      I too have heard about people putting an eye out, usually on uphill shots. I would think that an uphill shot with unstable footing could present problems, enough so that I elect not to put on a tang sight. You could, however, fold it down when hunting so I guess it's not unreasonable.
      But the point of my babbling is that I have a Williams receiver sight on my lever action and I think it's the cat's meow. I'm not sure a tang sight would be that much better really. Williams makes sights to fit the holes in the top of your Marlin's receiver so that's not an issue. I think if you try the receiver sight you will be happy. Just my thoughts!     :biggrin:   ID

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I'll second ID's thoughts and suggestions. I too considered a tang sight on my Marlin 444P, that was until I actually shot the wee beastie. As soon as it returns from Marlin it will wear a Williams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts