Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting jacketed bullets in my 1895GS since I bought it and am planning on working up some hardcast loads for the first time pretty soon. I noticed almost from the beginning that there are visible streaks of copper in the barrel near the muzzle. I think these first started to appear once I got velocities up. Prior to shooting lead I'd like to get this cleaned up as I know it'll be a source of leading if I don't. But this got me wondering if others have experienced the same problem and whether anyone here has done any firelapping in their's. I'm pretty sure that if I'm losing jacket material on the bore I'll be leaving lead behind too. It's impossible for me to tell if the streaks run beyond the muzzle ports. Maybe the machining of those has something to do with it.

Anybody had this experience or did I end up with another rare bore?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bart, I have a 1895ss that I had ported by my gunsmith. This has 3 slots cut in each side near the end of the bbl. He then back bored the bbl just behind the porting to prevent lead shaving. My Mag-na-ported 44 shaves real bad. Dont know ifin this would help you, but you might check with your local gunsmith. As for the metal streaks in the end of the bbl, this might cure this also. I noticed no diffrence in volosity(sp) or accuracy (now ifin I could only shoot where I look) by having this done.

Gun Runner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts