Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1899 Savage Caliber Savage 30 . . . ?

I recently traded for a very old Savage Model 1899. The barrel is marked Savage 30. The serial number (196XX) indicates it was made in 1902.

I was told that there is no "Savage 30" cartridge and that this rifle is chambered for the 30/30 Winchester. When I do a search on the internet for the Savage 30 I come up with 300 Savage, but the 300 Savage cartridge was not introduced until some 18 years after this rifle was made.

What ammo do I use in this rifle?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,415 Posts
.303 Savage, I bet.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I believe I would want to get a chamber cast of that, or do some serious research to find out whatchya got.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
At the turn of the 20th Century, arms manufacturers were loath to place a competitor's name on guns of their own manufacture, and doubt very much that Arthur Savage would put Oliver Winchester's name on Savage rifles chambered for the .30-30 cartridge.

"Savage .30" was the early Savage factory designation for the .30-30, until 1904, AFAIK.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Get an empty .30-30 brass and drop it into the chamer. If you can close the bolt, it should be a .30-30, if not it's a .303 Sav. The .303 savage has a longer neck than the .30-30, and the latter will thus not chamber.

Pete

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Good advice. the nominal base measurements of the 303 Savage are larger as is the diameter at the shoulder, for the 303 Savage. the two cases are just about the same overall length.
I have several 30-30 Cases in my cartridge collection headstamped 30-30 Savage. I'll look but one may be headstamped .30 Savage.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Jim is correct. Don't take guesses. get a chamber cast. mic the barrel. decide what cartridge you are going to feed it based on facts, not opinions.

That is an old collectible rifle, not super strong. Why endanger it and yourself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts