Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question about a old sporterized 1903 Springfield. I am in the process of learning about this (new to me) rifle. Could I just have my 30-06 barrel re-chambered to 300mag? I am just exploring options for the build up.

I am planning on a short barrel for it. If money was not so tight I would be getting a new barrel in 338-06 for it, but money is tight for now. My buddy hunts with one that is chambered for 300 mag. Not the best option with the short barrel but, I load and have an abundance of ammo for the 300 mag.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
If money is that tight, why not just shoot it as an '06? :)

The difference between a 300WM and a 30-'06 Springfield is measured in yards, and not many, at that. If you had the chamber reamed out to a 300WM, you'd have to change the bolt or bolt face, as well. If you're looking for a modest improvement in terminal ballistics from an 03A3, without spending much money, consider a 35 Whelen, instead of the 300WM. You may lose 50-100 yards worth of maximum PBR, as compared to the 300WM, but you'll have higher bullet weights to choose from and a very effective 300 yard elk gun.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In all honesty I will most likely keep it in 30-06 for now. I just figure I will make a plan for when money is not so tight. I would love to have it re-cambered for the 35 Whelen but think the 338-06 has better bullet selection. Can I change it to the 338-06 or 35 Whelen without getting a new barrel? Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
A short-barreled .300 Mag is a very, very loud .30-06. For that reason alone, I wouldn't bother. The very few FPS perhaps gained (over a shortened .30-06) will never make any practical difference. Better, in my mind, to go to .338-06 or .35 Whelen and throw a heavier bullet.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
While there are certainly fewer bullets available in 35 caliber than .338, what makes a 35 Whelen a much better option, IMHO, is that you CAN buy factory ammo, if you choose, and if you handload, you have a wide array of pistol bullets that you can use for practice. Also, there are plenty of excellent .358" bullets for big-game hunting, so it's not like you'd be hamstrung, in any way. If you were to ever sell the gun, the 35 Whelen would be much easier to "unload". :)

·
Banned
397 Posts
Ziptie,

I hate to be the wet blanket here. The Springfield rifle isn't a good
one to convert to a hot magnum caliber. I had one in .220 Swift that had
the back part of the two piece firing pin let go and **** near killed me. If you
do decide to change it over have a gunsmith install a one piece firing pin.
Better yet, keep it in the good old 30/06 a fine caliber for just about anything.

Zeke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remington 03-A3

I have one made in 1942 thin maid into a 300 win, it was done buy Nimord guns.

It is one nice looking gun fulley tuned break on it 20" berral , triger work, it a little stiff I hope I can fix that,

Is it worth it to put a new stock on it?

I have just got it and not even taken photos of it yet , but I am going to make it a tactacl rifle or sell it,

I,d like to here what others say about it!

Best John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.