Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Story time here for this rifle. Rifle was built in Russia in 1904 as either a 1891 Infantry rifle or Dragoon. The Infantry rifle orginally had a sling swivel just behind the pistol grip but was phased into the sling slot before 1910. So, more then likely a Dragoon model (unless someone can read Russian) Manufactures at the time were three Arsenals, Tula, Izhevsk and Sestroryetsk.
Histroy buffs would remember that also in 1904 Russia was at war with Japan (Russo-Japanese War 1904), then there was the Great War, 1917 October Revolution, 1922 War with Poland, Winter and Continuation War with Finland, Great Patriotic War, etc. Still found occasinally in Iraq and here in Afghanistan today. The stories this one could tell!

Not sure how this one came to the United States or when. During the late 80s a gunsmith friend of mine (high school buddy) tried his hand at a Scout Rifle. I bought the rifle around 92' for a grand sum of $40 which included a Bushnell Phantom 3x LER pistol scope mounted forward on the barrel. Well I let another Special Forces team use the rifle on the range on day in 94' as they had a case of 7.62x54R to shoot up and our one SVD in the Battalion was deadlined. Got the rifle back and the recticle had broke and lost the windage knob! Good thing I didn't loan them my cherry Polish M44.

Fast forward to 06-07' as the rifle had been sitting unused in the gun safe bought a NcStar Red/Green dot for it. Had picked up a can of Desert Tan Krylon for my son's AR and decide to do the Mosin also.

Couple of other modifications that my friend did was cut the barrel back to 16.5" or so and mill two ports in the muzzle. This is a very effective brake, as it still has the steel butt stock but it seems the gun pulls away from your shoulder. However, it is not a flash hinder as even in day light muzzle flash is about the size of a beach ball.

Gun still shoots min of man out to 200m, stripper clip guide is still there and I carry a few when woods roaming NC with this one.

Hope you enjoyed the short history of this rifle (only 106 years young). The Russians built over 17.4 mil 91/30 by themselves. This one has a 5 digit serial number. I welcome your comments.

CD

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I live in SC, and think I may have seen the flash and heard the boom of that one at some point! Looks serious and handy, never a bad combination.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Very handy setup. I'm probably gonna drop my new MN in synthetic and get 'er scoped. Barrel chopped 4-6" is a maybe.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Nice looking gun, but I do believe you now own an illegal firearm.

I don't believe you or any gunsmith is allowed to cut a barrel back under 18". The only legal rifles with barrels under 18" are made by the factories. If you factor in the extreme porting, a case could probably be made that the barrel is under 16" because the last 1" or so is no longer used as a barrel.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
16" for a rifle barrel - you're thinking of a shotgun barrel needing 18".

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
16" for a rifle barrel - you're thinking of a shotgun barrel needing 18".
All I know is when I sent my XS-7 to a 'smith for the barrel to be cut down, he said he could only cut it to 18". Any shorter would be illegal because only the original MFG is allowed to make a rifle with a barrel under 18".

·
Registered
291 Posts
State laws...shorter than 16" in NE needs to be registered as a short-bbl rifle. Otherwise you're good to chop.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Fed law says 16" is the minimum -- state laws may differ. But a good reason to leave a barrel at least 1/4" or more over 16" is possible muzzle damage in the future. Once you're at 16, there's nowhere to go except to a new barrel.

> a case could probably be made that the barrel is under 16" because the last 1" or so is no longer used as a barrel.

Again, a misinterpretation of the law. As long as a muzzle brake or extension is PERMANENTLY AFFIXED, a shorter rifled portion is perfectly legal. It is not hard to find AR15s with barrels as short as 11" -- but with 5" extensions welded on (although the logic of buying such a thing eludes me).

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a US soldier here who was born in Lithuania. I asked her today and she reads the manufactuer as Tula Arsenal. Another small bit of its history solved.

CD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts