Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a long time coming and after posting lots of questions here about all kinds of handguns I finally made a buy. 1911 Officer model. STI Guardian. I am sure I will have more questions so get ready. I got a Desanti black Leather Thumb Break for it and it seems to be OK. With the gun in Condition 1 the retaining strap fits under the hammer for an added measure of safety but the extended thumb safety can be moved to the fire position by the strap. I am thinking about replacing it with a more slim safety lever. I would post a pic but I already have back in a previous post. The one about the Ruger 345 just a few posts back. I still don't have my carry permit but I have some time in May so we will see. I will go on Midway today and start looking at my options.

Thanks to all for your patience and assistance in purchasing this firearm.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Congratulations Chief! You deserve it! I have no suggeestions on your set up! It sounds totally acceptable to me just as it is. I personally would not worry about the retaining strap possibly putting the weapon into fire mode. In fact that is what I would practice getting it to do.
Greg

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, for the encouraging words. I told you I would have questions. The mag that came with this rascal is a 6 rd. I expect a 7 rd mag would fit but would extend below the grip frame. Some companies offer the 6 rd in the midway cat. The companies are Pro Mag, Springfield, Meggar. It looks like the other companies that offer mags for the officer models are 7 rd mags. Now for the questions. Are all the mags standard and could you use a 10 rd in the officer models. My thinking is that I probably need a one of the 6 rd mags with the protector for drop and load practice but for carry use the 6 rd as is but carry the higher capacity for reloads in a firefight.

What say you guys?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the STI family Chief! I have a Guardian in 9mm and I love it. Buttery smooth, outstanding trigger, and amazingly accurate for a less than full size 1911. It has run like a champion since taking it out of the box. The only problem with STI is that you will be spoiled. I now have four 1911s from STI and all are superb.

I'm surprised at the 6 rd mag capacity. I've got three standard STI mags and they hold 8.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
GLI45,
Welcome! Glad to have you here among us!
Greg

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome GLI45. They had the 9 where I bought this one and they look just alike. What other STIs do you have? Mine is a 45 acp. I did omit that in my post because I was thinking that the 45 was the only caliber for the 1911. That shows you how slow I am.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In My 45's........

........go either Wilson mags or the Wilson guts(spring and follower). No other mag will do for my "work".

I EDC a 3" Kimber and compete with a Colt Series 70,5". ------pruhdlr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chief - In addition to the Guardian I've got the Edge and the VIP, both in 9mm, and the longslide Eagle 6.0 in .45acp. The VIP is he same size as the Guardian, but is a double stack. The Eagle is the softest shooting .45 I've ever handled and is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. The Edge isn't far behind in accuracy. It's a treat to shoot in 9mm because of the low recoil. The extra weight of the full dust cover absorbs a lot of the recoil and tends to minimize muzzle flip because it's a little front heavy. I use it in competition because the low recoil allows me to reacquire targets very quickly.

I own a number of other handguns, but I've become an STI convert. Their guns are terrific and the guys at STI are great to deal with. I had the chance to visit their facility in Georgeown, TX. came away very impressed by the personal pride everyone there takes in their firearms.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Chief, the larger capacity mags will work just fine but may hang out of the gun a little. I'll second a previous suggestion and say go with the Wilson Combat mags. They have never let me down. The 7 rounder should stick out very little if any.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Chief, ditto on the wilson mags, stay away from the promags. I also like shooting star, meggar, and metal form. Never had any of these let me down. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I use Chip McCormicks for competition in my Para 1911. Lots of guys that I compete with have STI guns, they are very reliable and the company stands behind them for life.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You guys speak highly of these STI 45's which are made right down here in Cuero, TX. How do they rate compared to Kimbers? I don't have an STI but do have a Kimber. Just looking for another excuse to add another 45 maybe. They seems to be more expensive than the Kimber.
Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
rhino57 - With 4 STI pistols I'm admittedly a biased source. A shooting buddy of mine has a Kimber Pro Carry that I've shot many times. It's a good gun, but I think STI is a step up. He is looking to get another 1911 and is shopping for a full size STI. With the exception of the Spartan, all STI 1911s are hand fitted to very tight tolerances. They are smoother than a silk negligee on a Victoria Secrets model, have great triggers, and are wickedly accurate. On average they are more expensive than Kimbers, but I haven't regretted spending the money.

Additionally the folks at STI are terrific to deal with and their customer service is second to none. I also kind of like the idea of buying a gun built from scratch right here in Texas. They are located just north of Austin in Georgetown, TX. and if you make an appointment you can visit their facility and get a look at their pistols.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I came across a couple Shooting Star mags at a local shop so I picked them up. I had to do some lip adjustment and they feed slick and eject well now in my pistol but. I was out with a buddy yesterday and he tried tham in his springfield GI and they fit fine but would not feed a round. Queston? My mags did specify for officer owners. does the mag make a difference if it is marked this way or is this how things are. Some guns have a preferrence for mag lip adjustment and just don't do well gun to gun.

Seems you would want your gun to feed everything in case you had to pick up a mag somewhere in a bad situation.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh! I forgot to add that I did not have a single malfunction yedterday, so that is an additional 29 rounds with out a problem. I think I will clean here up anain and see where the shiny spots are and oil her up. She is getting to feel real friendly and she shoots better than good.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You likely won't find it needs any polishing, STI guns are hand fitted.

Good to hear its running well. GI guns are very rough, if his is pretty new, I wouldn't be too surprised that it didn't feed very well, even though CMs generally feed in anything. My buddy's GI has no problem with any mag, and the double stack I had would feed from Para/STI mags as well as the factory mags.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK. I field stripped and cleaned again. I wanted to take the "Recoil Master" guide rod assembly apart but it is a little intimedating as it firing pin removal and extractor. The instructions did not go into mag latch, thumb safety, hammer or trigger removal.

Cleaning of the guide rod and springs is something I would like to do because of the wear they endure and if springs need to be replaced for some reason. I see that there are one piece guide rods and two piece as well as this recoil master thing that requires a plastic tool to hold it compressed in order to remove it.

Anybody got any poop on these 1911 chores.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ive never messed with a 1911 that needed a tool to remove the recoil spring so I can't speak on that. As far as the firing pin, extractor, hammer etc. I would'nt worry about any of that stuff right now. You got many more miles to go before any of that stuff needs touched, its not all that difficult to do though and you can find instructions on the web by doing a search.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts