Shooters Forum banner

1911 EDC?

4K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Pudfark 
#1 ·
Love my 1911's but stopped clocked/locked edc when I pulled my pistol and found the safety had moved to the "off" position. Not sure how it happened, but my concern got very high, very fast.

I love the size and feel of a commander rig, but still have the clocked/locked concern. Also, seems like carrying with the hammer back allows dust and other crap to get into the works.

Despite the 2 different trigger pulls, I've moved to edc with DA/SA rigs... or with stricker fired pistols.

What's your thoughts about carrying the 1911?

Thanks.

#2 ·
"Cocked & Locked".

Condition 1 is how I carried mine for years, before moving on from the 1911 scene. A pistol in proper working order, with a proper holster, will keep things where they should be. But ultimately, your finger is the real safety.

Cheers

#3 ·
For nearly three decades, I carried daily, a 1911 condition one in my waistband, "Mexican Carry". Never a problem, never dropped a gun and I had more than several knock down, drag out fist fights. I do understand folks being appalled by this style of carry. It worked for me. Most of my life, I walked around with my shirt tail out and tried to mind my own business.

#4 ·
What doesn’t wear out eventually?

Had the opposite problem...a safety that would apply itself somewhere around shot 3-6. I should have caught the problem and fixed/replaced before it got to that point, so the real “problem” was me not paying attention until it defiantly screwed up.

Striker fired or hammer fired...humans and amazingly good at defeating the “unbeatable” safety systems. Indoor or outdoor range, if it has “stalls”, take a look around….where did all those holes come from?

#5 ·
Ribbonstone2 points out facts beyond dispute. I worked at an indoor range in Denver in the mid '60s and had not set foot in one since until two years ago. I was hired to test a pistol and the lawyers rented a popular New Jersey indoor range for the work. A lot has changed in 50 years!! Is it the guns or the shooters?

#6 ·
Good discussion. . When I was a younger man I carried cocked & locked without any thought of it with the holster strap under the hammer that was my uncles instructions
And I've never had a safety issue. . But I admit that I also have given in to the high capacity 9 mm pistols .. I'll also say that my 1911 will never leave my possession. .

#7 ·
A cocked and locked 1911 can still get it done for concealed carry. Sure there are "better" guns out there, but if you're a 1911 man you're still more than adequately armed. I still carry a LW Commander from time to time and I don't feel poorly armed at all.

A safety coming off of a 1911 in a proper holster is zero worry for me. If it happens, I would just slip it back on. You still have to depress the grip safety, and the trigger...Nothing to worry much about.

HOWEVER

If it happened a lot, I would seriously investigate a different holster, or perhaps there's an issue with your safety. In the 30 years I have carried the 1911 I can recall the safety slipping off twice.

#8 ·
Something that seems to not be well understood is the 'cocked and locked' versus the DAO striker-fired pistols.
1911 types are 100% cocked and the hammer is locked in position.
The DAOs are carried 'mostly cocked and only blocked'. There is a tremendous difference that's proving not as sound and secure as they seem.
To determine for yourself how much 'cock' the gun has, reassemble the slide onto the frame without the operating spring in place. Now measure how much pre-cock there is compared to a full trigger pull. 70% cocked is about normal. That's enough to fire most of them. They rely a lot on the firing pin blocker and some of those are truly flimsy and easy to defeat with an impact. Something to consider in an EDC gun.

#10 ·
Personal experience only. I carried several full sized & Commander 1911's for years, always condition 1 (C&L'ed). I did find that occasionally it would come out off safe. It was ALWAYS traced back to the holster. Some holsters that are not adequately or are improperly formed around the safety & will push it off during wear. If I found that to be the case, a bit of wet molding usually cured the issue. If it didn't I trashed the holster.

YMMV.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
[*]Love my 1911's but stopped clocked/locked edc when I pulled my pistol and found the safety had moved to the "off" position. Not sure how it happened, but my concern got very high, very fast.

I love the size and feel of a commander rig, but still have the clocked/locked concern. Also, seems like carrying with the hammer back allows dust and other crap to get into the works.

Despite the 2 different trigger pulls, I've moved to edc with DA/SA rigs... or with stricker fired pistols.

What's your thoughts about carrying the 1911?

Thanks.
Personal experience only. I carried several full sized & Commander 1911's for years, always condition 1 (C&L'ed). I did find that occasionally it would come out off safe. It was ALWAYS traced back to the holster. Some holsters that are not adequately or are improperly formed around the safety & will push it off during wear. If I found that to be the case, a bit of wet molding usually cured the issue. If it didn't I trashed the holster.

YMMV.
I learned to shoot with a full sized 1911 that my father had back in the day, he was LEO.

But that was back in the day. I pose the question, why carry a 1911 at all? Why not something that's more reliable and isn't a 100 year old design, like a Glock. Or if the difference in grip angle is too weird, why not a kanic, or Ruger, or Smith and Wesson?

It's like driving a model T when you need a truck. why rely on a 100 year old design that's been out of date for twenty five ish years if not more. It is the one thing protecting you, so why not pack the best?

most modern pistols don't even have an external safety, so you won't need to worry about that at all. As someone else mentioned, I have had the same experience where a bad holster deactivates the safety.

#12 ·
It is OK not to like 1911’s….many of us do, it’s OK not to.

All current semi-autos have some form of safety even if it has no external switches to flip. Can’t say that’s made them any less or more prone to accidental discharges. Either way, the real cause of a AD is getting on the trigger before you got the pistol pointed where it needed to be.

Nothing is stupid-proof.

#13 ·
I carry to this day a full size 1911, 47 years total. The 1911's today are far better manufactured, than the 1911's of the past. Tighter built, better tolerances and more accurate. Yes, some need a little work on them to suit individual preferences. For the record, my opinion only, Series 80 Colt's all bite. Kimber did it better with there firing pin block.
I'd take any clone in the 70 series style and be very happy with it. I fixed one up for my brother in law, he loves it.

So, other'n a 1911, my next choice would be one of the Glock's. I own a three digit serial number first gen Glock 17 and it has useful history behind it.

Reactions: rvance
#14 · (Edited)
Ribbonstone2- Don't assume all firings have a finger involved. Walther PPS M2 is a good example. There are others.
I, personally, would rather have a DAO revolver than a plastic and sheet metal pistol. But if it's going to be an auto, I love 1911s.
...and have a LCP in my pocket. Go figure. ;)

#15 ·
Great comments!
Now that fall is here and cover garments needed for warmth, I have been carrying my 1911...condition 1.
It not only is comforting, it is also very comfortable with a good belt.
My 1911 belonged to my father who carried it in the OR Nat'l Guard in the 1930's and in New Guinea, France and Germany in WW2.
He had it tightened up, ported, polished and chromed.
Still shoots great with original barrel.

#16 ·
I have owned several 1911 style handguns over the years. When I shot IPSC, it was the go-to weapon. I never once had an issue with the cocked and locked safety, and don't remember anyone else having that issue. I have never used it as a carry weapon, so my experience is limited to days at the range. I have bought and built at least 3 tricked out IPSC pistols and actually have a WW II surplus Remington Rand (mis-matched slide). It rattles terribly, but is still accurate to about 15 yards. I had a Mustang 380 and gave it to my first wife in our divorce. If I remember correctly, it did not have the grip safety. My Dad left me a PTO Commemorative that he bought in the early 70's that I gave to my Brother about 10 years ago. That thing was TIGHT...but never shot. It never really went up in value and I thought that my Brother would appreciate a non shooting firearm more than me.

I could see how the safety might become worn and drop unexpectedly, but would think that if you are on top of things, that wouldn't happen.

Good luck and all the best.

#17 ·
I just LOVE my flying ash trays! 1911's are the bestist launchers. I guess a .40 is ok as a lil bro, a 9 is a hideout or backup! Funny cause my EDC is now an ultralite plastic .380 cause that 1911's 2+ pounds hanging over my "no-but-atal" fanny just sags me panties too much & I ain't from the hood so saggin just ain't fashionable in my neck o da woods!

Because of my lack of a backside ledge to keep my pants up I actually like carting me 1911's in a shoulder holster. Harder in Georgia than Michigan.

#18 ·
#22 ·
It was called the Golden Bullet on Wadsworth Ave. Four benches, underground @100yds and a large 50 foot pistol range. We shot Winter League Rimfire matches there and the rattle of a magnum right next door caused many a flinch. It was either gone or changed names in the late '70s when I was back in the area.

#23 ·
Sounds like the same place, store upstairs, range below. I once went down the stairs with my hands full of guns, ammo and stuff, ear muffs hanging around my neck. Just got to the bottom when someone uncorked a 357 and I got a painful lesson, always put muffs over ears before starting down to the range.

#25 ·
I worked there at night before and during hunting season for help in sight-ins. I guy had a remodeled '03 in .338 Win Mag and a loading block that was neat. It was laid out like a Chinese Checker board and held about 60 rounds of carefully crafted, expensive bulleted handloads with groups of three and five of several powders and charges. Very meticulously done. He tripped and spilled the entire rack on the floor. He got some good groups of two, three and even four, but he had no way of knowing what they were. He shot every round.

#28 ·
Is the 1911 truly "locked" with safety on or does it just block trigger pull? The only 1911 style handgun which actually locks the hammer is the Spanish Star. The Star's thumb safety engages the tail of the hammer and cams it back off the sear. To make a Star fire with safety engaged one would have to break the hammer itself.

#29 ·
The safety locks the slide, and blocks the hammer disengagement; as does the grip safety.
Like many things, I'm sure there are some variations; but that is the jist of the 1911 operation.

Cheers

Reactions: Pudfark
#30 ·
Carrying a 1911 on half cock can be dangerous! The 1911 safety locks the hammer and sear and IS safe (unless worn out).
Test-- Cock the gun and lay your finger on the hammer then engage the safety. You should feel the hammer cammed to the rear by a few thousandths. That takes the pressure off the sear.

#31 ·
While Darkker and JBelk said it perfectly, they did. I'll throw in the obvious and say there is such a thing as inertia firing, but it's about as rare as chicken teeth. I'm a total believer in toothless chickens.

Edit: For the record, I have no use for Colt series 80 pistols or chicken teeth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.