Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm issued a M1911A1 over here in the sandbox. Am having problems with it not ejecting spent casing at least once per mag. Round extracts but doesn't eject and gets hung up on extractor. Have no spare parts for the M1911A1s here. Is there anything I can do to tweak the extractor?
Have 6 Wilson 8rd mags and 2ea Wilson 10rd mags that its doing to all mags and ammo is M1911 230 FMJ.

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to sound assinine here, but have you informed small arms repair of this malfunction?
If so and not satisfied with action taken, 1 inspect the offending spent casing, look to see if the extractor mark is crisp or faint, if faint the problem might well be the extractor, if sharp I would tend to suspect a failure to eject, something I've seen more often than extractor problems.( what you describe sound more like a failure to eject not extract) 2 field strip and inspect the weapon for uneven or exssesive wear pattern also check ejector to see if loose. Loose ejector can cause failure to eject as well as short cycling of the slide.

ps. THANKS

·
Banned
6 Posts
Very possiable that your extractor is not holding enough tension on the case and that is letting the case fall free of the extractor before it contacts the ejector. If this is the problem the extractor needs bending (bowed).

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,

Totally disassembled, cleaned and check parts. Etractor apears to have correct tension, single loaded rounds ejecting out several feet and not straight down. Ejector is pinned down solidly with no movement. Today out of 2-8 rd mags and 2-10 rd mags had one failure to eject on first mag at round 5. Third mag had one stovepipe that was swiped clean. Have a new ejector, extractor and recoil spring on the way.

Small arms repair has looked at it but only has parts for the M9.

Thanks for the advice.

CD

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Extractor should hold a live round in the slide, off the gun. Push in from bottom. If not, extractor tension is too light.
Also, there is not enough room for the extractor tip to slide over a chambered round. NEVER single load through the port, it will damage extractor tip. Always load from a magazine.
A correct recoil spring should eject emptys between 4 and 8 feet.

Humpty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts