Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Mr Bubba again, soapbox in hand! Today it's about the apparent need to improve the 1911's extractor. Smith is using the pin & spring style, Kimber is using a Glock style, Para has their own wierd design, and I think Wilson offers some other style as well. I suppose it's all well and good for marketing - "Look, see, we made it better!", and people are supposed to buy dozens at a time. I have had the good fortune to have shot several hundred thousand rounds of .45's over the last 10 or so years through various pistols, mostly 1911's. Maybe 10% of that has gone through Glocks and 5% through assorted curios I picked up here and there - Star, E.A.A., S&W, etc. I have beaten some hideous reloads out of some of them, and the only extractor I have ever broken was on a Glock. A Caspian and a S.T.I. have had close to 100,000 each, and their extractors are still going strong! I feel the companies are more concerned with the bottom line than anything else. It takes no more time to M.I.M. a couple parts than just one, but the old style requires a skilled craftsmen fit it. If the part's made right to start with, the 'smith can do the job in 5 minutes. We already pay $800 to well over a grand for the pistols, so what's a few extra dollars to cover the fitting cost if we end up with a better product?

·
Banned
623 Posts
I think the external extractors on 1911's is more about making them cheaper, not better. I have four Kimbers, three Para Ordnance, and one Springfield. All of mine have internal extractors. I won't buy one with the external extractor.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Think Kimber did/are going back to the internal extractor.. WHERE IT SHOULD BE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts