Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a Springfield Armory GI edition 1911a1. I have only shot 50 round nose 45 acp rounds through it, and thought I would take it bow hunting with me this year. Anyway, I bought some expensive hollow point 45 auto rounds and the darn thing absolutely will not chamber them. The round catches on the ramp. I asked the guy at the gunshop and he said that is normal and that the gun just needs to be broken in further.

Does that sound right? I don't have the time, or money to put another 300 target rounds through it before my trip. Is there something I can do to fix this?

I have other, broken in, pistols I can take. Just had my heart set on taking this one for some reason.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess the question is why are you taking it with you? if just to plink around camp, then go ahead...no big deal.

if the purpose is as a sidearm in the woods, for snakes & various other boogers, then the answer's no...it's a bad idea. I would never rely on a gun I've only got 50 rounds thru...even in the woods.

if you're sitting around watching tv, etc, you could try cycling the pistol by hand as many times as you can stand...also, dry-firing doesn't harm a 1911, so make sure it's unloaded & snap away.

while I'm still new to 1911's myself, and others may be able to speak better to your situation, I'd say that the GI 1911 was never designed to function w/modern hollowpoint ammo...it was designed for military ball. this may be part of the problem you're having.

if it were me, I'd stick with a pistol you are more familiar with for this particular outing.

enjoy your trip & good hunting to you... :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am hunting Eastern Oregon, lots of mountain lions and black bears (and now wolves too). I usually carry a PM40 that has been well broken in. It's size and weight make it perfect for folks who may be climbing hills one day and trees the next. Many feel the caliber is too light, but I don't worry about that. At close range it'll do, and it's plenty loud enough to scare the **** out of most things. Guess I just wanted to let the big gun get some air. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your gun clerk steered you correct (not common I know) in that it takes 500 -1000 rnds for a 1911 to break in and loosen up. Tighter they are built more rnds it will take to be reliable. I generally shoot nothing but full power 230 gr on any new 1911 untill I have a few hundred through it before trying other types of ammo.
This said that doesnt by any means that your Springfield will feed HP rounds even after its broken in well and if it does feed correct it can feed well with one type and not so well with another. For instance one of my 1911`s feeds Honrady XTP and Nosler Custom Comp HP fine and the other doesnt like the Nosler sharp cut edge of the metplate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, I am hunting Eastern Oregon, lots of mountain lions and black bears (and now wolves too). I usually carry a PM40 that has been well broken in.... It's size and weight make it perfect for folks who may be climbing hills one day and trees the next. Many feel the caliber is too light, but I don't worry about that.

I'd agree w/the folks who think it's too light for cats/bears... there's plenty of folks who even debate whether its enough for 2-legged critters. :)

I carry a .40 for the 2-legged varmits....but for the 4-legged variety, my woods gun is a Ruger Vaquero in .45LC.

I just got a humorous picture in my mind of a hunter blazin' away with a pocket pistol at a pissed-off black bear, who is coming up the tree after him... makes me love that old .45 of mine even more...:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My father-in-law had one climb half way up to his stand one time, and had no pistol with him. Luckily dropping an arrow scared it off, because he couldn't shoot his bow at that angle. Now he carries a .357 in his pack.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It might be just the type of hollow point you are using. I have a couple 1911s and neither one really likes hydroshocks, but they feed speer golddots real nice.

Just keep looking till you find the ammo it likes. If in fact it only works with ball ammo, thats still not necessarily a bad thing. 230 gr bullet moving around 850-900fps is nothing to sneeze at, hollowpoint or not.
I wouldnt feel under gunned with it for defensive purposes, unless I was in AK, but then I would have a rifle for sure.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
GI M1911's were designed for ball ammo and while some will feed some brands, most need a little customizing to handle HP's and such.
Federal is making a 45 ACP expanding FMJ round that may be your ticket.
I have 2 .45's and both will handle Winchester HP's without problems. Personally, I have full confidence in the 230gr FMJ for man or beast.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Try some different magazines. A different follower or feed lip geometry may allow those rounds to feed.
Make sure the slide stop is not hitting the nose of the bullet. I had to reshape the stop on my most recent 1911 and I've seen several on the current Springfields that were oversized.
The feed ramp may need polishing and the barrel may need a little work in the throat.
Your pistol may not like that particular ammo without modification so another bullet profile might be indicated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was looking in to buying one of the GI 1911's is it a good gun? I have a XD in .45 and love it but i just like the old style look of the 1911.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have a Springfield Armory GI edition 1911a1. I have only shot 50 round nose 45 acp rounds through it, and thought I would take it bow hunting with me this year. Anyway, I bought some expensive hollow point 45 auto rounds and the darn thing absolutely will not chamber them. The round catches on the ramp. I asked the guy at the gunshop and he said that is normal and that the gun just needs to be broken in further.

Does that sound right? I don't have the time, or money to put another 300 target rounds through it before my trip. Is there something I can do to fix this?

I have other, broken in, pistols I can take. Just had my heart set on taking this one for some reason.

Thanks,
Aaron
Someone else mentioned earlier that the M1911 was designed to feed military 230 gr ball ammo and this is true. To get it to reliably feed hollowpoints you can either stick to bullets with a round ogive, ie., federal hyda-shoks or have the barrel throated and polished, if this hasn't already been done. When you have the barrel throated and polished it will feed a variety of bullet types more reliably. With all that said, I've had 1911's that weren't throated and polished that feed hollowpoints and some that had I had to throat for it to work. I'm sure someone with more 1911 experience will come along and explain this a lot better than I did.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Chances are the feedramp needs to be polished or the barrel throated.

For what it is worth, many GI type 1911s will work with hollowpoints if you alternate them in the mag with hardball. I did that for years with a mil spec 1911.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Remember that if you decide to just load the magazine with FMJ, as I would, you can still put a hollowpoint in the pipe first. You'll want to make sure they hit to the same point of aim, of course.

My Springfield Mil-Spec sees nothing but FMJ ball ammo, and nothing in the woods has a problem with that!

My Colt reliably feeds HP and SWC and my Kimber feeds HPs very well and sees a steady diet of LRN for practice and IDPA.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My Kmbers eat anything I feed them. I wouldn't know what to do to make them jam....

While I love 1911s with a passion, they are second to my other love, Ruger revolvers. Get yourself a good 4-6" .357Mag at minimum. A 45LC, 44Mag or 41Mag would do the job nicely. I prefer my 41.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I am very new to this 1911 thing. I think I am learning that some ammo is just too long for some guns. Also the +P stuff will need different spring weights in some guns. There could be a thousand other reasons yours is misfeeding on some ammo. If you find an ammo that works, you are golden.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess I'm spoiled as I bought an S&W 1911 that will digest everything I feed it. Other posters offered valid suggestions. Perhaps the flat tip on you specific ammo is too broad. Maybe the feedramp needs polishing but first Id try it with a high-quality magazine and see what happens.

I also like the Federal expanding soft nose bullet as they should feed better than JHPs

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I was trying to find some Pow'r ball ammo, but since I couldn't I went with the next best thing I could find with a round nose. Thanks for all the input. By the way, my local gunsmith told me that these guns were designed to work with ball ammo, not hollow points. So, in a way, it sucks, but also it is kind of cool that the specifications are true to the original, as springfield promises. I would not hesitate to buy a newer design of springfield 1911, which I am sure will load anything you want. I bought this thing for nestalgia and functionality, and I guess I should have done a little more research. Although, knowing what I know now, I'd still buy it. It's just plain cool to have virtually the same thing the guys in the field in WWII had.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Kimber 1911 .45 ACP manual says to shoot 500 rounds to break it in.

Kinda normal for a new auto I believe.

Hunting where your going, I'd take a gun that is broken in or put a lot more rounds through this one.

Several auto loaders have trouble chambering hollow points.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
lrn will work especially if you hit a bone an that lead gets all uglied up...but for woods hunting its revolver for me... since i don t have one with hunting barrel i carry my 20ga with 2 bb an sluggs...nothin around here that won t knock dn...actually i got my handguns on me also..

theys a medium size cougar passes thru here occasionally an if hes prone to human food ,,hes gonna have to pay dearly for it...thats the plan anyway.....
you do realize they can be on you from 15 yrds in less than a second,,also don t count on that tv growl an stuff before they attack..
im thinking thats movies an such...thats when my 158 grn swchp start landing where ever i can hitim...hope i gettim with the shotgun though...
i warned a young hunter out there the other day ,,that id seen it...
he said no chance ,i been hunting these woods for 20 years...be looked to be 20 yrs old.....his hunting is drive an atv close to his stand ...then harvest deer he s been feeding... knows absolutely nothing about the woods..i can do the same in my back yrd as they graze it all the time...i hope i don t find whats left ofem out there as i have ,,a couple of mama deer..cat don t get thier babies ,,there hid ,,they just starve to death..i smell them about 2 weeks later..i know what it is...
ps this not knocking anybody hunts like that but there are some advantages to stalking..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts