Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of buying a used 1911 style 45 with the idea of shooting cast bullets. What are the pit fall if any? Are there any I should avoid? Anything I should specifically look for or avoid?
I am trying to make an informed decision so any and all help is, as always, deeply appreciated. Information is power. Thank you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
About 80% of the over 60K rounds I've shot collectively through my various 1911's (Les Baer, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Caspian) were cast from various manufacturers. Most were Bull-X and National Bullet. The only problems are that cast bullets and their lube tend to be dirtier than typical jacketed rounds and of course, barrel leading. Leading may or may not be too bad depending on several factors. Whenever I severely leaded a barrel, I simply wrapped some chore-boy around a bronze brush and scrubbed away. For me, the economics of cast bullets far outweigh the extra cleaning chores.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know this is a little different, but when I reload for my Glock I use copper plated bullets. If you shop around online and locally you can sometimes find copper plated bullets for hardly any more than lead.

You have to load them more like lead bullets, but the advantage is they don't foul the bore like meh92 was talking about.

Enjoy your 1911, I am thinking of buying one in the near future as well.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
1911's are very cast freindly. Very inexpensive if you cast yourself. They operate at low relative pressure so they will be dirtier than others that rubn at higher pressure. I shoot 4 different 1911's and have no problems.

Don

·
Banned
205 Posts
Just remember to make sure you are looking at cast bullet data in the reloading manual rather than jacketed data, the two do not interchange. I was raised shooting cast, my Dad was on the Air Force Bullseye team for years and cast is all we normally shot in everything. It can be dirtier due to the lube but cleaning takes care of that. Use a good hard cast bullet and the leading will be minimal.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Have fired literaly thousands of rounds of cast bullets in my Colt 1911A1 Bullseye auto. The only problem that I'm aware of is will SWC bullets feed into the chamber. Believe most manufacturers already build their autos so SWC bullets will feed reliably, however, on some autos the chamber may require some slight beveling and polishing to ensure this happens. No problem with feeding cast RN bullets.

Cast bullets and the 1911 have been a successful and popular combination for many years.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My experience has been that if your bullets are sized correctly, .452, most any bullet lube will work.
If you use Bullseye or WW 231, most any fast burning powder there should be no leading.
I used 4.5 grains of either for Bullseye matchs for years.I try to be fastidious with my Colt Gold Cup and clean it every thousand rounds, or every year.
Jim

·
Registered
556 Posts
Cast bullets

About 95 percent of the rounds I have run through my 1911A1s are my own hard cast bullets, Lyman lube and Unique powder. Been doing that since 1970 and leading is not a problem. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been shooting lead out of three different 1911's with unique for better than a dozen years with no ill effects/leading problems.

·
Banned
56 Posts
No problem using cast bullets for a 1911.
I use cast with my Kimber Custom Target II, and my Taurus PT 1911 with great results.
I also just bought 1000 cast bullets from Precision Bullets, out of Kemp Texas.
These bullets are cast with a hard black coating which keeps the barrel much cleaner. Because of the coating, they don't use wax either.
These are dead on accurate with both of my competition 1911's

For copper or lead fouling, I use Butch's Bore Shine.
It cleans lead and copper from the barrels better than anything that I have ever used.

Eric

·
Registered
281 Posts
1911 loads

Ben Bodey said:
I am thinking of buying a used 1911 style 45 with the idea of shooting cast bullets. What are the pit fall if any? Are there any I should avoid? Anything I should specifically look for or avoid?
I am trying to make an informed decision so any and all help is, as always, deeply appreciated. Information is power. Thank you.
what do you want it to do=target or heavy loads.
200 gr swc with 3.5 grs bullseye or 700x makes good target load up to 50 yrds. :) :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ben Bodey said:
I have been using cast bullets from Laser cast and they have a guarantee that they won't lead your barrel. I mainly use the 230 gr. bullets because, for the most part, I just shoot at targets and they work just fine for that. I haven't had any problems with leading in either 45 acp that I have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts