Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for a 1911 with fully adjustable sights that will shoot lead bullets without a lot of problems. Either 10mm or 45acp. I’m thinking of the Kimber stainless target model. I’ve heard quite a bit of negativity about shooting lead out of semi autos. I’m a revolver guy so don’t really know much about them, I do however carry a Kimber micro in 9mm and have shot lead out of it without any problems. Lots of guys at my range have glocks and tell me not to use lead bullets.
Looking for recommendations on brands that will shoot well with lead and pluses and minuses of the whole full size 1911 models. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My late Father and I used to shoot his US&S M1911 in club competitions using Lead Semi-wadcutter ammo.
Probably several hundreds of rounds and no problems ever showed up.
I still have the Pistol in my Gun Safe.
We also shot his M1903A3 in club competitions.
I also still have that Rifle in my gun safe.

Chev. William

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've fired thousands of lead bullet loads in my 1911s and found them accurate and fun to shoot. Lead bullets have never caused any problems in the 50 years I've been firing them in the 1911. I have run into problems on occasion with revolvers when shooting lead bullets, mostly leading around the forcing cone. This is never an issue in 1911 pistols. I'd take the .45 acp hands down for use with lead.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
too HOT of loads will...

leave streaking in the barrel. Suggest you get a set (3) of Wolf slide springs to accommodate the loads as you work them up, it is necessary to ensure flawless feeding with "non-ball" ammo at target velocities.

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
My old Colt National Match has shot nothing but lead for the 40 years I've had it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I owned a Colt Combat Commander for a couple of months and loaded 250 grain lead round nose bullets through it. I got 1-1/2" groups at 25 yards which was good enough to make a guy want it bad enough that I got two presses and a bunch of other reloading gear for the gun. I have never missed it. You can shoot lead bullets through most 1911s without any trouble. The most likely barrel to give problems would be one with polygonal rifling. "They" say that that rifling won't shoot lead but a friend of mine uses cast bullets in his. He is picky about accuracy and a bit retentive when it comes to reloading but, then aren't we all in some way? ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I shoot SWC through my 1911. It is a Remington R1 Enhanced. I have never had an issue. My friend Jim has shot a lot of lead bullets through is 1911 shooting competition. He has a display of just how out of control he was. He has 300,000 spent primers in a display case. Most of them launched lead bullets.

And as an added bonus, nothing I have shot makes a prettier hole in a IDPA target than a SWC from a 45ACP. Perfectly round every time. Hardball just doesn't make the same hole.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I've shot countless lead bullets out of some extremely accurate 1911 pistols. Never a problem. As suggested above, get the right slide spring and they will function flawlessly.

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
It depends

For many years I have shot my own lead cast bullets in various 1911 pistols without a hitch. That has included G.I 1911A1s, Colt 1911 and Gold Cups, Springfield 1911A1s, Auto Ordnance and Rock Island 1911s. Once I got the cast bullets in production and worked up powder charges, I never looked back. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Am looking for a 1911 with fully adjustable sights that will shoot lead bullets without a lot of problems. Either 10mm or 45acp. I’m thinking of the Kimber stainless target model. I’ve heard quite a bit of negativity about shooting lead out of semi autos. I’m a revolver guy so don’t really know much about them, I do however carry a Kimber micro in 9mm and have shot lead out of it without any problems. Lots of guys at my range have glocks and tell me not to use lead bullets.
Looking for recommendations on brands that will shoot well with lead and pluses and minuses of the whole full size 1911 models. Thanks for your replies.
The reason your Glock friends don't shoot lead bullets is because the Glock has polygonal rifling, lead bullets will skid down the barrel due to there not being conventional rifling to engage the soft lead.

I've shot cast lead bullets exclusively in 45acp 1911's since 1989, the last 10 years thousand upon thousands, the only negative aspect of lead bullets is shooting indoors where there may not be adequate ventilation.

Never owned a Kimber handgun but lots of folks out there believe they are not as great mechanically as they look stylistically and there are better built 1911's for much less money. I don't have an opinion on them but it might be worth checking out before laying down big bucks on one.

These cast bullets will all be shot in my 1911, low recoil 185gr.

·
Registered
283 Posts
In the old days ('70's & "80's) you sometimes had to throat the barrel, polish the feed ramp, and modify the magazine lips to feed LSWC's in a 1911. Nowadays, many will shoot them right out of the box. My 1911's -presently 2, and both are Kimbers -get a steady diet of 200 gr. LSWC's that I cast and lube with Lee Alox for practice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Kimber Target Eclipse II that I don't remember if I have ever shot any jacketed bullets through, 98% of the lead had been 200 gr swc's and I have shot a boatload of those through it with no problems.

Steve........

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
Always found the .45acp to be one of the easier semi-auto rounds to load cast bullets for. No where near as picky as the 9mm,40, or 10mm about "scrap alloy".

Certainly a wide choice of store-bought, and a wide choice of molds for casters....most of the styles that have been around "forever" likely have a reason for still being around.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I shot more 225 gr. SWC lead bullets out of my 45's than you can shake a stick at. Bowling Pin, IPSC, and just target shooting.

Good luck and good shooting.

Joel

·
Registered
1 Posts
A rule of thumb I've heard is not to exceed a muzzle velocity of 1000 fps with lead cast bullets to avoid lead fouling. Typical MV's in a 1911 are less than 1000fps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
thats all I ever shoot out of my Sig 1911 45 acp

·
Registered
573 Posts
When it comes to shooting lead bullets the 45 acp / 1911 is about the easiest there is .
40 years ago I picked up a Lyman 452460 SWC mould cast from whatever wheel weights I could scrounge , loaded them over 5.2 grs. Unique and never had a problem ... still doing it to this day . Colt Gold Cup , Colt Commander , Star Model PS and AMT Hardballer .
Low pressure , mild velocity all combine to be a winner with cast lead bullets .
My only First Place trophy was won with the 45 acp AMT 1911 Hardballer and my cast bullet load of 452460 / 5.2 grains Unique .
Don't deprive yourself ....lead bullets and the 45 acp work like a Voo Doo woman's magic charm ...trust me , 40 years of experience bear witness to this fact .
I don't believe I've ever loaded anything but cast lead in my 45 acp's .
Gary

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Speer's swaged 45 bullets

When Speer first came out with .452" swaged "soft" lead bullets, I used both in my 1858 C & B Remmie. But within a year or so, too many complaints from the cartridge crew caused them to stiffen up their bullet wires. Now it became a pain to ram them into my C&B's chambers. So I migrated over to Hornady "Knurled" lubed lead bullets. So just remember, you're dealing with really shallow grooves in the 45 acp's bbls' intended to shoot military hard ball ammo.

I'll find out more when my new Ruger 45 acp revolver comes back from my G.S. in a couple of weeks. But I think I got a feel for this when I had to ram early Speer and later Hornady lead slugs backwards into my C&B's chamber mouths. My original Lee 200 gr. LHP mold is closer to .450" when I cast them out of dead soft lead. Now these seated as nicely as commercially swaged round balls do.

·
Registered
977 Posts
There is way too much ignorance and old wives tales about lead bullets circulating the web today. I have 11 handguns; revolvers, semi-autos and single shots that all shoot lead bullets just fine, and some that have never seen a jacketed bullet as long as they have been in my possession. I have cast, loaded and fired 357 Mag. bullets to over well 1300 fps, no leading. I have also cast, loaded and fired bullets in my 44 Magnums, 30-06, 7.62x54r and 303 British, no leading. I have 3, 45 ACP guns an all have fired hundreds (and thousands in my 1911) of lead bullets and zero problems.

For your choice, just about any decent 1911 will shoot cast bullets cleanly if you do your part. In order of importance; size or purchase bullets to fit the gun. Use a decent lube. Find a good load for your particular gun, powder and bullets. And least important is BHN (don't buy into the "harder is better" thinking). I'd recommend the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for info on cast bullet making and use, check the "Resource Center" here, and for answers to nearly every question ever asked about lead bullets go here; Cast Boolits

1 - 20 of 27 Posts