Shooters Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,072 Posts
Well said. I run cast bullets well over 2,000fps in several rifles. Yeah..... it gets a little more 'touchy,' but it can be done. Details get VERY important.

Makes using cast bullets in a 1911 a walk in the park, by comparison!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've not been able to locate any scrap lead lately, I have an old marine battery that gave up over the winter, is it possible to reclaim the lead from one safely?
I have a full respirator I use for work.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've not been able to locate any scrap lead lately, I have an old marine battery that gave up over the winter, is it possible to reclaim the lead from one safely?
I have a full respirator I use for work.
No. The amount of lead in a dead battery is very, very little as the discharging action turns the lead in the plates to lead sulfate, not usable for casting. Also, toxic fume are created when melting any lead found in a lead/acid battery, and the only real salvageable parts of an old battery is the posts or side post connections. Not worth the time, mess or fumes from reclaiming lead from a battery...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Often overlooked, but the Ruger SR1911 full size is a great and very accurate pistol. Mine feeds most everything, cast swc’s, coated swc’s and rnfp, and plated rn, rnfp, and swc. This gun has never had a problem, light target loads to full house self defense loads. It’s only seen about 5000 rounds so far, not quite broken in yet.
Great value for the money.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I shoot almost exclusively cast bullets in everything I own, including in my RIA 1911 A2 (10mm), probably about 15-20,000 in my Sig P220, and maybe 5-8,000 or more between the two Glocks, with both stock Glock barrels and aftermarket barrels. Another 20-30,000 in the M&Ps, including 40SW and 45 Auto. Across all of that over maybe 8 years, not a single issue at all that I'd attribute to the bullets being cast. In the Glock and cast bullet forums I once frequented, I really do believe there were far more guys who shot cast from stock Glock guns that had no problems of any kind, than there were folks who repeated the claims they'd heard that there would be trouble. Near as I can tell from my limited 5-8,000 rounds estimated in Glock barrels, they are actually excellent barrels for cast bullets. I would say the only concern or issue with any auto pistol I've seen firsthand is just one of feeding--not fouling. That's a factor for any bullet, regardless of cast or jacketed: shape and seating depth (or cartridge overall length, really).

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Am looking for a 1911 with fully adjustable sights that will shoot lead bullets without a lot of problems. Either 10mm or 45acp. I’m thinking of the Kimber stainless target model. I’ve heard quite a bit of negativity about shooting lead out of semi autos. I’m a revolver guy so don’t really know much about them, I do however carry a Kimber micro in 9mm and have shot lead out of it without any problems. Lots of guys at my range have glocks and tell me not to use lead bullets.
Looking for recommendations on brands that will shoot well with lead and pluses and minuses of the whole full size 1911 models. Thanks for your replies.
I've shot 200 grain SWCs out of 45acp starting in 1976. I still shoot 200 grain SWCs because they're more accurate. Only issue is leading, so just get a Lewis Lead Remover, takes care of the problem

I'd suggest you might try a Springfield Range Officer. Less expensive and you won't have to deal with the Kimber "nothing wrong with our pistols" if you have a problem with a Kimber and I've seen a lot of them.

I bought an RO last year and am very happy with it. Went out 4 months ago.and got a RO LWC in 9mm. I love it and am shooting more 9mm right now.

In 76, it was all series 70 Colts after getting them tuned for IPSC. We were burning 3000 rounds per month. That ought to tell you that lead bullets in an 1911 work fine

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
A rule of thumb I've heard is not to exceed a muzzle velocity of 1000 fps with lead cast bullets to avoid lead fouling. Typical MV's in a 1911 are less than 1000fps.
Depending on who makes them, they will lead and I never load 45acp for 1000fps

21 - 27 of 27 Posts