Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a old colt 1911 and the frame is split I have been looking at SARCO for 80% frames. Has anyone had any experience at fitting new frames to old slides?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1911 frame

I don't know much about them. I read that they only needed some minor work, drill press and hand fit, to fit the slide. I remember them being very cheap and that's why I didn't buy. I think somewhere in the 20+ dollar range. I haven't done anything like this before is the Essex and good frame? I want to save my old colt but I can't spend more than it worth on parts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why don't you just have the old frame welded? Contact Jim Anglin at Sailor's Custom Pistols, they do a lot of welding. 402 650 5190

Reactions: nsb and rojkoh

·
Registered
64 Posts
the 80% frames have no grooves for the slide rails. Cutting same into the frame, without a little $500 mill from Cummins, is a pita. It can be done with a hacksaw, Dremel, files, marksalot pen, etc, but it takes about 3 hours.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I have a old colt 1911 and the frame is split I have been looking at SARCO for 80% frames. Has anyone had any experience at fitting new frames to old slides?
Split i what way? 1911 frames can e welded and fixed. I've done it more than once.

Fitting a slide to a frame isn't an issue depending. Just takes some time but if your slide is worn.. may work out easily.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
puggs,

Where is your frame split? Photos would help determine the fix. I have built 1911s on Essex and AMT frames. It helps if the slide grooves are already milled in and the ejector staked.

Webley

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Please tell me about the 80% frame??? I have used some Essex frames from Brownells to good success. Just a thought....
Brownells doesn't sell Essex anymore. I've had an essex and seen several built. The QC on them ran real hot and cold.

Strongly suggest a Les Baer frame. They are exceptional.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts