Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I don't do social media and this is the only forum I've ever joined. I love this forum it is informative and useful. My current question is can anyone give me advice as to using this site properly.

With that, I really would like to know for sure if I can legally make and sell home made wooden 1911 pistol grips. I have looked for hours online with no clear answers. I am very good at wording my searches correctly. Please, any help would make me a happy shooter.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
This almost sounds like a trick question; why would you think you couldn't make and sell them? There's no law against wood working anywhere as far as I know. The fact that they are going on a gun in no way makes them a prohibited item. So, the answer is yes, you can make and sell them. The only laws you have to follow are related to reporting your income to the appropriate sources so they can take a cut......IRS, state, etc. There are laws regarding manufacturing firearms, and some prohibited firearm parts, but grip panes/grips aren't covered by them. Make all you want and sell all you can. Good luck with this venture. FWIW, you'll find this market pretty full of competitors.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your quick response! I just enjoy making these grips and have had people offer to buy them. I want to do this completely legal and just had a hard time finding any real information out here on the web regarding the proper way to go about this. I will start selling these and keep track of the number sold and for what amount and obtain a business license if need be.

Also, to answer your question someone suggested that I would need a firearms manufacturing license to produce this item and sell it... causing much confusion and unsure feelings.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I don't do social media and this is the only forum I've ever joined. I love this forum it is informative and useful. My current question is can anyone give me advice as to using this site properly.

With that, I really would like to know for sure if I can legally make and sell home made wooden 1911 pistol grips. I have looked for hours online with no clear answers. I am very good at wording my searches correctly. Please, any help would make me a happy shooter.
1911 Grips (not pistol grips) are not covered by any rules governing the manufacture of firearms or things governed to the manufacture of firearms and or specific parts.

Best be really good, that market has a LOT of vendors.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum.

Seems these guys provided you with the correct answers. If you are considering marketing them on this forum there are some steps that need to be taken. Contact one of the moderators for more information.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
There might be issues with taking possession of a customers firearm for the fitting purpose. Local stuff, and perhaps federal too? I don't know for certain. Just thinking.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
697 Posts
There might be some issues if you were to use some REALLY rare woods, covered by the ESA. Also, if you make enough money or a certain volume, there might be some issues with taxes, business license, etc. Taking possession would likely require a gunsmith FFL. Making and selling a few grips per year shouldn't likely be an issue.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the info! I am just planning on selling these home made 1911 grips to locals at the moment. I have some personal friends and acquaintances that have seen my grips that I have crafted for my own guns; these people have shown interest in purchasing a set of custom grips from me. As far as borrowing the firearms, I won't need to do that. Later if I decide to market them on a larger scale than custom hobby leisure production; I'll potentially offer them on this forum and other online locations, complete with pictures, prices, and other options.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,706 Posts
Any 1911 is supposed to have the grip safety bushings in the same spot as every other 1911. When I was making them for the Ranch Dog postal match prizes, my Kimber was a pretty good test bed.

Have fun and good luck.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for that useful info! Indeed I have so far found the same to be true with all of the 1911 .45 ACP's I've thus far encountered.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Thank you for that useful info! Indeed I have so far found the same to be true with all of the 1911 .45 ACP's I've thus far encountered.
Worst out of spec 1911s I've seen were either Essex (you won't see many of these) or a large batch of Gold Cups (80-81) with the hammer and sear pin holes out of spec. Nothing like an NIB Gold Cup that was fully automatic.

Can't say for some of the lesser brands that might pop up. But never seen an out of spec grip bushing nor screw hole in most commercial brands and Military 1911s.

·
Super Moderator
3,859 Posts
Welcome top the Forum

Glad to see you here. Perhaps sometime you could post some pictures of your work. All the best...
Gil

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would be happy to post pictures. I am still new to this forum and my understanding is that I cannot post attachments. Do I need to donate money (or is there a periodic fee) to the forum to become a VIP, or am I simply misunderstanding the forum rules?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
1911 Grips (not pistol grips) are not covered by any rules governing the manufacture of firearms or things governed to the manufacture of firearms and or specific parts.

Best be really good, that market has a LOT of vendors.
Yes, there are a lot of vendors for 1911 grips. I really like my Pachmeyer grips on my two M1911A1 Springfield Armory .45s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts