Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I don't know much about pistols. This being the 100th anniversary year of the 1911, I'd like to get one...to keep for good. I do want to shoot it but it's primarily a nostalgia kind of thing. I want one of good quality...and manufactured in the USA. I don't think I'd spend more than $1200. I want one manufactured in 2011...not used (and how do I make sure of the year of manufacture?). The Colt really interests me (how much more nostalgic can you get?), but I don't hear much about them. Any ideas, suggestions or advice to offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Well, my thought is that everyone should have a .45, and your anniversary concept is as good as any reason to have one. :)

.45's are made all over the place anymore, and assembled in the US, and Colt may even do that themselves. I don't know either way, but the 70 Series, and the 1991 series have nice features, are very well made, and should get you through for less than $1200.

Looking at the Commerative models, my bet is that a mortgage might be needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wait til SHOT and see all's that available. From those currently announced, I'd opt for the one bearing it's designer's name.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Yes, Browning will be introducing its first ever 1911 at SHOT. That would be the one to get for nostalgia. Colt is a good option for nostalgia too, and the Remington R1 is getting amazing reviews and is very well finished. Remington did make WWI 1911s, so that would be a good way to get into the nostalgia. I think the Browning 1911 is going to MSRP in the $850 range, the Remington MSRPs in that area too and the base Colt is about $900.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm thinking a bit differently, although I agree 100% with matsbox99 if you decide to buy new. Were it me, I would take my $1200 and buy a WW I or WW II era pistol in the best shape I could find. I would not buy a commemorative gun of any kind. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been looking at Springfield's TRP series. They don't seem to be readily available, but I"m in no super rush.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Kaytod - that thing sure shot right up to 80k and has been sitting there for the last ten days, I wonder if it will hit 100k in the frenzy before the end now that the serious bidders are the only ones left.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the colt on Gunbroker...beautiful but I'm a little more frugal than that. :) Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Check out Remington's R-1. American Rifleman just ran a review of it, and it sounds like a real nice pistol. Price is around $700.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Used to shoot a Remington made 1911 when I was on the Ship's Pistol Team, back in the late 60's and early 70's. As old as that piece was, even then, it shot amazingly well. I'd ask for it from the Ship's armorer whenever I'd pick one up for a match. Very well made, accurate. I see no reason why Remington would do anything but make a quality firearm. It's the one I'd choose. New Remington R1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Colt 1911 1991 series 80

Found my 100 year commerate colt 1911 in january. Gun is new 1991 series 80.Came in blue plastic box with 2 mag. straight main spring housing and nice walnut grips with spur hammer. Not like the gun I carred while I was in the army. After dickering $750.00 otd. Haven't decided to shoot the gun or pass it on to son Lee709:D

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been looking at Springfield's TRP series. They don't seem to be readily available, but I"m in no super rush.
Get one in your hands sometime, and you may change your mind. It has an aggressive grip texture, alright. So aggressive, I fear I'd be bleeding after a box of ammunition through it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Made in the USA narrows stuff down quite a bit, as does not having to mortgage the home.
I would recommend the Remington, or if you can find a 1991 a-1 a Colt.

I am fond of Springfields, but they are made in Brazil.

1911s are meant to be used, not hoarded.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Made in the USA narrows stuff down quite a bit, as does not having to mortgage the home.
I would recommend the Remington, or if you can find a 1991 a-1 a Colt.

I am fond of Springfields, but they are made in Brazil.

1911s are meant to be used, not hoarded.
Springfield guns are forged in Brazil and then either assembled in Brazil or the US. If it has a serial number that starts with NM it was assembled in the US. I have a Milspec assembled in Brazil and the quality is as good or better than Colt. It also has a lifetime transferable warranty. For nostalgia I would get a Springfield GI parkerized. Even though the name Springfield Armory was purchased and not the original "Springfield Armory", the name has nostalgia for me. My Milspec looks close enough to the GI with the arched mainspring housing plus it has usable sights and other refinements making it a better shooter. By the way 1911 was when it was adopted by the US Military, not when it was first produced by Browning for trials. So there are really 2 100 year anniversaries. You need to buy 2 guns. :)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Myt-Bird, there is a very nice 1911 in the NRA magazine this month, Gold Engraving etc. The price is over $2000 dollars though.:)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Smith and Wesson makes very nice, made-in-the-USA 1911's within your price range, although they wouldn't have the historical name recognition of the Colt or Browning.

·
Registered
785 Posts
There are 2 companies making good 1911s in the Philipines. Mine is from metro arms, a mil-spec gun that's faithful to the drawings and performs great. I got it delivered for under $400, and if I had a $1200 budget I'd buy 3 of them. I'm sorely tempted to celebrate the centennial by buying a ChiCom Norinco... after all, the politicians sold America to them. You can get a stainless mil-spec Springfield for about 700 delivered when they show up. That would be my Hi$ choice. Oh yeah, the fit and finish is fine. Not perfect, but fine anyway. I think the mil-spec shows the most respect for Browning's work. Best, Grizz

1 - 20 of 29 Posts