Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting either a springfield GI model or a high standard. prefer to buy american weapons although ive heard that high standard imports from the phillipines. just personal preference. am open to other suggestions tho. price limit about 500$. like to hear opinions and suggestions on any 1911's that fit this profile.

·
Registered
294 Posts
+1 on the Taurus. For around the same price as the Springfield GI model, but with all the features you would end up adding to the Springfield. The Taurus my buddy bought needed a tighter barrel bushing ($18) but shoots great now. Lifetime warranty too.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Another vote for the Taurus. All the whistles and bells for under 600. Looks and shoots like a full bore race gun for peanuts in price.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the Taurus PT1911 is a great great value. you get an 8 round mag, not 7 like the Springfield. the Heinie sights are fantastic. ambidextrous safety and a great feel.

If you have to have a springfield, i would not get the GI, go for the mil-spec.

if money is a big issue, look at the Rock Island 1911. not great on finish, but shoots straight.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,463 Posts
I am truly a fan of Springfield, and I'm now on my second of their 1911s, but I have not heard good stories about their entry level guns.

I own the Loaded 5" stainless, and the Lightweight commander [champion]. Both are flawless in form and function, but were pricey.

A good friend owns the Taurus 1911, and it's a great gun. i would lean that way, just for the Heini sights and great accessories alreadt installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Springfield frames and slides are forged in Brazil. It might be assembled in the US, but not sure. The XD line is made in Croatia.

Taurus is Brazilian made as well. Do a search on the Taurus 1911, and see for yourself the problems. Taurus customer Serivce isn't too hot either.

SA makes a good high end gun, but the lesser models tend to have some problems. SA backs up there guns very well, but it seems that all the inexpensive models have to go back to get them right. I wouldn't expect it to run well with hollowpoints out of the box either. Seems they might be made with ball ammo in mind.

You might be able to find a good S&W used, as they ar all US made. And S&W service is top notch (as long as the gun hasn't been tampered with previously).

Charles Daly, Armscor, Rock Island, are all imports. Can't speak of their service though.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
It depends what you prefer

I started out with Colt Series 70s, but they are now hard to find and expensive. I bought a few Springfield 1911A1s from the used gun counter and have been very pleased with them. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I am truly a fan of Springfield, and now on my second of their 1911s, .
I've owned a few dozen handguns over the years, but my Springfield 1911/.45 Compact is one that I'll go to the grave with.

It is NOT a Kimber. But I don't have a mortgage on it either.

Very good shooter, very reliable. Still tight after several thousand rounds of 185/200gr hard cast semi wadcutters, with a snappy dose of Unique or W231.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,463 Posts
I'll back up Tman;
that Lightweight champion is surely a keeper. My round count is nearing 8500, and the gun has yet to hiccup, short of ONE dud primer!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=8

here's a pic of mine, with some show off grips....Mike G cut em for me, I finished them. The wood is mesiquite.

Here's the full size:

and here's an old Colt from 1918 that I used to own. Shame someone hard chromed it before me..

when it comes to full size 1911 and/or 45 acp, I have found that this Smith 4506 outshoots them all.
This old smith shoots as good as any thousand dollar bullzeye gun. i swear if rocks could be primed, it would feed them, and fire them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm very fond of my series 80 Colt Officer's model. Even though it holds six and is made of steel I've had it over 20 years and it has been reliable. I probably shot a hundred different Navy issue M1911's and most of em were rather shaky but fun to shoot. Doubt if any of them were serial # matched. I'd love to find one in a pawn shop today for a good price!

Personally, I shoot 230 FMJ ball ammo in mine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got my sister a Springfield Mil Spec 1911A1 double stack for 450 that included a hard case and 2 extra mags . 13 rounds in the mags . We took it out and put 500 rounds through it at the range to get her comfortable with it . No misfires or jambs and dead on accurate . For under 500 I would give it 4 stars .

·
Registered
429 Posts
I remember when Kimber first came into the 1911 market. They targeted Springfield and Colt with slogans like “ All the custom shop features for half the price”.
A brand new loaded Kimber used to run around $600-$700.
Now I see them for $900-$1400 for basically the same gun with different colors.
I own a couple of them and yes they are great guns.
But now it seems the worm has turned and Kimber is starting to fall the way Colt and Springfield did back in the 90’s by pricing themselves out of the market.
+1 on Taurus, it just should not cost over $700 for a great 1911.

P.S. I really love my Tactical XD in 45 acp

·
Registered
100 Posts
ive got a springfield loaded 1911-a1 i bought 5 years ago the gun is great and shoots much better than my kimber proably because of the magazine. also the only good 8 round clip ive ever used is the wilson combat all the others let the bullet tip downward and it hits the loading ramp at an odd angle. i polished the feed ramp on mine took about 10 minutes and no loading probs with my cheapo kimber clips never had a problem yet with the wilsons and there on sale at midway for lik 23 bucks. dont know if i got a bad shooting kimber 2.75 inch group 25 yards or a good shooting springfield 2 inch 25 yards but since i paid 400 more for the kimber and it doesnt have the loading thing at the bottom(forgot technical name) and came with crappy clips and shoots slightly worse il vote springfield

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im not a big fan of springfields. Ive had more reliability problems with the 6 of them ive owned then all the other 1911s ive had combined. they can be made to run well but seem to always need some tinkering. I prefer colt and kimber and there both made in america and springfield gun are mostly made from parts that are farmed out to foriegn countrys.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Thanks guys. I am in the market and really needed the info. Can't help but notice that no one has tried the High Standard offering yet. I have handled one and they are pretty handy. Price is better than the Taurus.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If my Chas Daly ever wears out, I'll buy another to replace it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I currently own a Kimber Tactical Custom II and used to have a S&W 4506 like the one in the picture. I personally have friends who have Springfields, Wilson Combats, Les Baers, Colts, and have fired them all. I would say wait and find a really good used gun. If you look hard and stay patient one will come along. I gave about $900 for my Kimber which retails for $1150 and it was just very slightly used. You would probably be much happier with a used Springfield Operator, Kimber TLE, Sig GSR, etc. they you would be with a stripped down Springfield GI model or the Hi Standard. If you are not dead set on a 1911 look for a really good used Sig P220. They are fine weapons....very accurate and reliable. I can't really say anything about the Taurus 1911. The only Taurus I have every owned is a model 85 38 special. It is a good little gun and their 1911 seems to be also but I have not had the chance to fire one. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your purchase.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have owned two springfields one milspec and one compact (no longer made) both were fine guns and I hate I sold them.

I was just in the situation you are, looking to buy a 1911 and trying to keep the $$ down. I was about to order a taurus, I had read the good reports and felt good even though I had read the bad reports about customer service and some quality control issues. I went into my local store to put my hands on one. The one the clerk pulled from the back had the ambi safety broke! This got my mind thinking that the last thing I wanted to deal with was the possibility of my new gun having issues and a customer service department with a bad rep.

I chose to save a little more money and last week I bought a bottom of the line Kimber. I spent $650 for it only 100 more than the taurus. I should get it in the mail Wednesday or Thursday. I'll add the ambi safety and night sights down the road.

Just thought I'd let you know what I ended up doing.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have to admit what i want it for is carrying with me in the woods. i want to shoot it the range also but where i hunt there is a bear problem and if i happen to run into one that decides to get brave, i want to know that its gonna stop it. there are also some moose in the area and have already had issues with one while bowhunting. again same situation, i want to know if the critter decides to be brave (as moose have poor eye site and will charge anything they consider a threat) i will gladly take the fine as long as i am still alive. i know this can be a cumbersome model to carry but i also know this is a round that does the job efficiently. not looking to spend whole lot of money (preferably under 500$) but want to know if i have to count on it in cold or hot weather, its gonna shoot where i aim it. thanks for the info that has been provided. have also been looking at the kahr-thomson (I believe atuo ordnance). these seem to be reasonably priced and was wondering if there were any opinions on this make. thanks for any info

1 - 20 of 37 Posts