Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've shot both (Navy) and I have my preference.

But to answer your question, the one that is best for self defense is the one that fits your hand like a glove, doesn't hurt your wrist or any other body part when shooting, and causes you to feel confident in your security. Either one will stop a bad guy if used properly. Either one will get you killed if you empty a magazine into thin air while your assailant returns fire accurately.

Now go buy the 1911. :D

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
662 Posts
What Glenn said :D

I have read the statistics, and I've heard the talk, but I just can't get away from the idea that Bigger is Better when it comes to bullets.

I don't buy the capacity argument either. If you can hit what you aim at, you don't NEED 15 rounds of .45 If you can't hit what you aim at, 15 rounds ain't gonna help.

JMHO, YMMV, etc.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,451 Posts
We've argued this to death a few times, FYI. Buy what you want. Keep in mind that most people don't want to get shot, and most people who get shot don't want to get shot again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Come on Mike... most everything posted on a website has been argued to death somewhere! :D I don't mind responding. Searches for past posts on subjects are so.... boooooorrrrriiiiinnnnnnggggg. ;) :D
All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like both the 1911 .45 ACP and Beretta M9 but which one is truly better for self defense and why?

Thanks!
As the others have mentioned, bigger is better for stopping power. Go with the 1911.
If you don't like the recoil but still want some stopping power, go with something in the middle, a .40 cal., like the Beretta 96.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like both the 1911 .45 ACP and Beretta M9 but which one is truly better for self defense and why?

Thanks!
Both guns are essentially the same size and weight. Reliability, or lack thereof depending on who you're talking to, is also a wash. With modern JHP ammo the two cartridges are essentially equal in "stopping power" by any objective lab measurement or documented police shooting. The only difference is that the Beretta gives you twice the capacity of a standard 1911. They can also display stunningly good accuracy right out of the box. IMO the M92/M9 is the better pistol for anyone who isn't limited to FMJ ammo like the military.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Zalamel,

I"ll ask a question, which are you more proficient with? Is it to be carried concealed or as a night stand gun? Are you comfortable with a SA cocked and locked? I've carried (sometimes both at the same time) and owned/issued both over the years and used both in a combat enviroment (Haiti/Iraq). Both have there + and -'s. Learn there limitations and practice, practice and then practice some more at 100m.

CD

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I prefer the double action of the Beretta, but I like the modular platform of the 1911. It can be had in just about any pistol caliber from 9mm to .45 Win Mag.

I think you should get both, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Both guns are essentially the same size and weight. Reliability, or lack thereof depending on who you're talking to, is also a wash. With modern JHP ammo the two cartridges are essentially equal in "stopping power" by any objective lab measurement or documented police shooting. The only difference is that the Beretta gives you twice the capacity of a standard 1911. They can also display stunningly good accuracy right out of the box. IMO the M92/M9 is the better pistol for anyone who isn't limited to FMJ ammo like the military.
I'd be interested to see how hp's make the 9mm as powerful as the 45. Must be some new type of physics that they've come up with since I got out of school. I'm not saying that the 9mm won't do the job. I just don't think that it has the stopping power of the .45.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

The FBI found out the hard way in 1986, that 9mm HPs are not equal to a 45ACP and have since gone back to the 45ACP

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Most federal agencies actually carry the .357 Sig or .40 S&W now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd be interested to see how hp's make the 9mm as powerful as the 45. Must be some new type of physics that they've come up with since I got out of school. I'm not saying that the 9mm won't do the job. I just don't think that it has the stopping power of the .45.

Unless you are completely ignorant of how bullets wound, please don't be coy with comments like "new type of physics." The internal damage done by typical defensive handgun cartridges is essentially the same. Documented shootings show little difference in real world performance when comparable hits are examined. You may prefer the .45 to the 9mm, but please don't think there is any evidence to support your personal belief.

(Photo courtesy of Dr. Gary Roberts.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The FBI found out the hard way in 1986, that 9mm HPs are not equal to a 45ACP and have since gone back to the 45ACP
The FBI used the 9mm Silvertip as a scapegoat for poor tactics and bad luck experienced in Miami. They continued to use the 9mm, albeit with different ammunition, as their primary duty cartridge for many years. Today the majority of special agents use the .40 S&W. The remainder are 9mm with 147-grain JHP's. The only .45's ever used by the FBI are among the SWAT units and HRT's. The ergonomics and shootability of the 1911 platform have at least as much to do with that than the cartridge.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The FBI used the 9mm Silvertip as a scapegoat for poor tactics and bad luck experienced in Miami. They continued to use the 9mm, albeit with different ammunition, as their primary duty cartridge for many years. Today the majority of special agents use the .40 S&W. The remainder are 9mm with 147-grain JHP's. The only .45's ever used by the FBI are among the SWAT units and HRT's. The ergonomics and shootability of the 1911 platform have at least as much to do with that than the cartridge.

The fact that the 9mm bullet did not penetrate deeply enough to reach the heart had nothimhg to do with "tactics" it had everything to do with penetration.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Seems like we had this discussion like a month ago, and the month before that, and the month before that.... get the drift?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The 45 starts out out the diameter that the 9mm hopes to become.
When asked why the cowboy carried a 45 Colt he responded, 'Because they don't make a 46 Colt!'

Jim

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.