Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Regent 1911 full frame has the factory barrel installed, I'm looking to install a more efficient ramped barrel. Does anyone Know if it is as simple as just dropping the new barrel in or are further modification needed? Also I'm open to opinions on the brand of barrel to purchase.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
How is the barrel you have not "efficient" enough for you? If it ain't broke, I wouldn't try to "fix" it.

I think the answer to your question is probably going to be directly related to what you mean by a "ramped" barrel, and what brand you are considering. You might be looking at a drop-in, or something requiring machining of the frame.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Most ramped barrels I've seen have the frame cut where the traditional feed ramp is. But as said above. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The ramped barrel doesn't really do a whole lot for the thing.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
My Regent 1911 full frame has the factory barrel installed, I'm looking to install a more efficient ramped barrel. Does anyone Know if it is as simple as just dropping the new barrel in or are further modification needed? Also I'm open to opinions on the brand of barrel to purchase.
Putting in a ramped Bartel in a standard frame takes major mods to the frame. You have to to facilitate the ramp.

Want a drop in? Go Storm Lake. I bought one for a Colt USGI 1911A1 and have used them since. Want a really accurate barrel, go BarSto, BUT... far more expensive and I don't know if they've fitted one to a Regent. I've shooting 1911s since the mid 70s and never heard of it

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Most ramped barrels I've seen have the frame cut where the traditional feed ramp is. But as said above. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The ramped barrel doesn't really do a whole lot for the thing.
It does in certain lightweight frames

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's true its not "Broke" but at the same time why do we upgrade or customize any perfectly working firearm? There doesn't have to be a failure to create a smoother working weapon. from what i can discern it seems as though some frame shaping in needed .

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The list of reasons to customize a gun is long -- and quite a few of them have nothing to do with making a gun more reliable or accurate.

Installing a barrel like the one pictures involves more than "a bit of frame shaping". It's a machining job requiring precise fitting, not a cheap job or one suited to the amateur gunsmith. Done incorrectly, it can turn a perfectly reliable gun in to a disaster.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have ramped and unramped barrels and leave them the way they came. Pistols are tuned and run flawlessly for me and am not about to mess with them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The ramped barrel for a 1911 comes in 2 different designs. These 2 designs take 2 different cuts on the frame. The frame will need to be milled for the specific design. I have heard of guys doing it with files but OMG they also need a hobby. I don't remember the proper name for each cut but one is the Para/Clark and I think the other is Wilson/Nowlin

·
Banned
379 Posts
There is no such thing as a drop in barrel for a 1911.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Drop in barrels are good for a combat gun but tolerances have to be loose enough to fit any gun so top accuracy is not a given. Yes it happens but not guaranteed.
Polishing an unramped barrels can be bad if not done by an experienced individual since polishing can be good but removal of too much material can ruin a barrel quickly.
I have always run ramped barrels in my 1911s but they are used for competitive purposes and sometimes high pressures must be used(well over posted maximums)so a fully supported chamber is safer.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Hook up the dremel and have at 'er.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been carrying a gun for over 46 years. They have always been and still are a 1911. I'm a firm believer in the old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
The list of reasons to customize a gun is long -- and quite a few of them have nothing to do with making a gun more reliable or accurate.

Installing a barrel like the one pictures involves more than "a bit of frame shaping". It's a machining job requiring precise fitting, not a cheap job or one suited to the amateur gunsmith. Done incorrectly, it can turn a perfectly reliable gun in to a disaster.
Actually if you do a bad job doing the frame ramp on a 1911, that's the end of the frame. Same goes for the ramped barrels.

I've seen a lot of bad work on these including people that polished the feed ramp on a conventional 1911 barrel to the point where the rear of the case was no longer supported and ruined a good barrel.

None of this is something for an novice.. it's just to easy to make mistakes.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Drop in barrels are good for a combat gun but tolerances have to be loose enough to fit any gun so top accuracy is not a given. Yes it happens but not guaranteed.

Not true with the Storm Lake barrels which I am really satisfied with. First time I did it with a USGI Colt 1911A1 NM, it was tight and worked nicely. No it's not a match grade barrel, but it sure keeps up with any normal barrel as well as the old Colt NM barrels.

Polishing an unramped barrels can be bad if not done by an experienced individual since polishing can be good but removal of too much material can ruin a barrel quickly.
Frames are also easily ruined.

I have always run ramped barrels in my 1911s but they are used for competitive purposes and sometimes high pressures must be used(well over posted maximums)so a fully supported chamber is safer.
You can have a fully supported chamber on both ramped and conventional barrels. Since the early days of IPSC, Irv Sr.'s BarSto barrels were the go to barrel for competition and still work nicely in both 45acp and 38 super for the race guns.

Worst I've seen were novices that "polished" the feed ramp on a conventional "Match" barrel to the point where the cases were failing by the head because it was no longer supported. In those days were ALL loaded hot because of the old IPSC power factor.

Worst I've seen with "Pressure" was when someone touched off a triple charged round. bulged and slit the barrel, bulged the frame and slide. Believe it or not, it did get fixed although I wouldn't have. It's also why I like 231. When I was a novice with a Star, I did load two doubles... cost me 2 sets of grips and 2 magazines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts