Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting bullseye with a 1911. I'm sure there might be a lot of opinion on this; but what is the ratio of rear sight opening width to front blade thickness for best accuracy. Mine seems a little tight. It may just be my eyesight and maybe I should open it a little. Any thoughts?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Been there, done that. My rear sight notch was actually narrower than my front sight. I filed it out to a bit wider than my front, maybe .005". Much better. Mine are 1/8" wide and I would like to try a 1/10" front. After all, we use 1/16" front sights on rifles, and they're further away. The thick sights are made for speed, not precision, IMHO. Just be careful and keep the notch square.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I think this is a matter of personal preference more than any "correct" size. You might want to play with your sights and see what works. I like the wider sights without a lot of daylight showing, but I don't shoot much bullseye with the 1911. If you don't want to mess with the rear sight, you have lots of front sight options. If your slide is dovetailed for the front sight blade it makes matters much easier, otherwise I'd start with the rear sight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts