Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a friend who just started reloading. 225 grain cast bullet, Unique powder, 45 ACP in a 1911 Springfield. I wasn't there and haven't seen the cases, but 'most' came out with a flattened edge on the case mouth he claims. I worked out with him the other night how to set up COL and how to taper crimp. He said they cycled thru the gun with no problem. But picking up the brass he noticed the straight flattened side on alot of the brass. I don't do auto pistols so I thought I'd throw the question out here. Any ideas???

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,880 Posts
If sort of dented or flattened around the case mouth only, would suspect it of hitting the edge of the ejection port when being ejected.

·
Banned
369 Posts
If the primer pocket is flattened, thats a sign of too much pressure /powder. If so back off pressure till the gun cycles correctly with no flat primers. If theres a dent on the extractor side of the case, then thats a strong spring in the gun and don't worry about that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thought was along the lines of Kdub. Something happening on the way out. He says the load was mid-way between start and 'hot' from the Lyman manual. No sign of any pressure on the primer end. The best part is that it was accurate. We set OAL same as a factory round he had, and the kicker is that he says it doesn't do it with factory rounds. That's what thru me and made me think it had to do with the load...maybe warmer than factory and catching on the way out? I'm thinking he can resize and flare the mouth and still be able to use the brass, but it just kind of stumped me. My first answer was "Just use a wheelgun", but that didn't go over real big!

·
Banned
126 Posts
I've shot .45's for a goodly number of years and what you have described is very common for a number of loads in a number of pistols. It is not a worry as I have reloaded some cases more than 35 times with light loads. The case is being forced out of the chamber with an extended ejector and strikes the side of the slide. As long as it ejects there is not a worry.

dclark

·
Banned
396 Posts
Which Side?

Which side of the case? Try some new brass, or maybe if he polishes the lower part of the case from the rim - to say 1/4" above it, he can see where the extractor grabs the case and tell if it's hitting on the extractor side or the opposite side? Might give a clue to how/where it's hitting the slide...

GOOD LUCK! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts