Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a nice 1911 (Maybe a Kimber, maybe a Colt, maybe a Springfield).

I have two stipulations though. I'd like it to have a 6" barrel if possible (if not, then 5"), and I'd like it to cost between $500 and $700.

Before I look on Gun Broker or Guns America, or anywhere else (any other places I should know about?), I'd like some opinions here, so I can nail down a make and model before I search through various types of the most prolific hand gun on the market.
 

·
Beartooth Regular
Joined
·
7,776 Posts
There's so many makes and models out there now that you need a scorecard. As for 6" guns, AFAIK, they're custom made, so finding a good one like a Clark Longslide at your price won't be easy. For a 5" gun, I'd look for an early Kimber or a very recent Colt. However, I'm not really up on the market. Check out the http://www.1911forum.com/forums/ for the latest.

Bye
Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack Monteith said:
There's so many makes and models out there now that you need a scorecard. As for 6" guns, AFAIK, they're custom made, so finding a good one like a Clark Longslide at your price won't be easy. For a 5" gun, I'd look for an early Kimber or a very recent Colt. However, I'm not really up on the market. Check out the http://www.1911forum.com/forums/ for the latest.

Bye
Jack
Ah, superb! Thanks for the link!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,125 Posts
Springfield makes a long slide, but $5-700 won't get it, you'll need to add about $200 to get the base model long slide. Your best bets in that price range will be Springfield and Kimber. If you want adjustable sights, make sure you buy a pistol that has them, as you'll be looking at an additional investment of $250-400 for a good set after the fact. The Colt is probably the worst value of the three you listed.

I just bought a new Kimber Target II in 10mm in stainless, it's a sweet pistol, but the price is a little more than you're looking to spend, but I think the .45's can be had in a blued finish for very near your budget, and a slightly used one certainly could be. Maybe you should check one out, it's a heck of a pistol. A very good value as far as 1911's go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,125 Posts
Loader 3009 said:
The longslides I have fired are slow to cycle. The second law of physics, I think.
Most of the longslides you'll see are target guns for lighter loads, so they have light springs and the slide works a little slower....that's all in addition to the fact that the slide weighs more. I've got a comp gun built on an old AMT Longslide Hardballer, it still shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger.

The Springfield "Loaded" line might be another good option for you to look at.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
169 Posts
Buy a Kimber. Check their site to see which one tickles your fancy, and then shop 'til you get the price you want. A local store had a Kimber Classic used for around 500 or so a couple weeks ago. This was the original not the Custom II with the different lock work. I really thought about giving my Custom a sibling to play with :D . But I have a Glock that should be on the way so I need to make sleeping arrangements for it first ;) Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Agree with Lone. I have had my share of expirence with 1911s, and Kimber has been by the far the best. Distant Second is Springfield, and Colt after them. These guns can be made as good as a Kimber, but I would hate to buy a pistol and then spend more time and money to get it right.

I was once issued a 1911 made by Union Switch and Signal, and that was a pretty good gun, heck for accurate, although it didn't work so hot after it got dirty. I turned it in, and I am guessing it got cut in two around 93 or 94. Shame.

Good luck, good shooting.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whitehunter35 said:
Agree with Lone. I have had my share of expirence with 1911s, and Kimber has been by the far the best. Distant Second is Springfield, and Colt after them. These guns can be made as good as a Kimber, but I would hate to buy a pistol and then spend more time and money to get it right.

I was once issued a 1911 made by Union Switch and Signal, and that was a pretty good gun, heck for accurate, although it didn't work so hot after it got dirty. I turned it in, and I am guessing it got cut in two around 93 or 94. Shame.

Good luck, good shooting.

Steve
Why would you put Springfield in a "distant" second?

I went down to the gun shop today, and saw a Springfield for just what I want to pay, with just the components I want (save for grips).

I compared a Kimber Custom II to a Spring 1911A1 Full frame. I won't quote prices, but they are both stainless, and the Springfield was over $200 cheaper, and had the same equipment. As a matter of fact, the stainless Springfield was cheaper than the blued Kimber. The stainless Spring was just $10 more than the blued, where the stainless Kimber was $150 more than the blued version. The Springfield also looked better polished than the Kimber, which was more a matte finish. Features on both included:

-Stainless frame and slide
-Ambidextrous saftey
-Large beavertail
-Non mil-spec grip saftey
-Rosewood grips
-5" full frame
-Front slide grip cuts

In addition, I didn't feel like I needed to bring in a horse to sit on the mag release to get it out of the Springfield. The Kimber practically needed a pair of vice grips.

I think I've got my mind set on the Springfield, being cheaper, feeling of better quality (what's the deal with all the cast pieces in the Kimber? It has more seams than a wedding dress! All the Springfield parts are machined!).

The Springfield felt, looked, and sounded (on paper) superior to the overpriced Kimber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Good Afternoon Uber,

Congrats on your selection, I see that you have it firmly in your mind that this is the pistol for you. I have every expectation that this pistol will give you service to meet your satisfaction.

I personally have no issue with Springfield, and for the most part have had postive expiriences with them. I found that the two that I have owned where quite accuratte, but did not measure up to the reliability quotient to my satisfaction.

I have owned 5 1911's; 2 springfields, 2 colts, and the current Kimber, and was issued 3 others, an Ithica, US&S, and Remington Rand. I have also handled and fired countless of these weapons that belonged to friends, fellow soldiers, or guys that where just around. My observation reflects my expirence with these weapons, and I surely would not atempt to disparage your choice.

This Kimber works very well for me. I went shooting with a friend of mine on post, and the only targets we could find were the M16 zero target, a small e-type target about 3 in X 2 in, thereabouts, on a standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of grided paper. I shot 50 200 grain lead speer swc handloads, at between 15-20 meters, and manged one hole that obliterated the little black sillouette, and had 2 stoppages. Since this was a target load of my own creation, I most undoubtably deserved the blame for those two rounds, that both failed to just enter complete battery.

The next test was 50 rounds of 230 hardball, ensuring all 7 of my mag's worked to suit me. Again, one hole, a few flyers, no stoppages but all fifty rounds went roughly into one group that I could cover with my hand.

I took this same gun to some advanced pistol training, and shot 300 plus rounds in the span of an afternoon. Distance was closer, but again, one hole groups were the norm, always dead center, zero stoppages.

I have shot it a few other times and not recorded the results, shooting milk jugs, or plastic barrels, ringing steel targets, and busting vanilla wafers. The gun works every time.

I have shot the FBI course with it, and scored a 98 out of 100, and a perfect 200 on the 25 meter U.S. military qual.

It is not a particularly pretty piece, a Staniless classic 1, that looks more like the old GI parkerization than true stainless. I actually liked that better than the real shiny stuff, kind of reminds me of whence I have come, and I have never liked guns that I thought were too pretty.

Well, that is what I have found, but it is just the matter of my personal expirience. I do truly wish you all the luck in the world with your Springfield.

Good shooting Uber, if you are the neighborhood, I would happy to let you shoot mine.

Steve
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
169 Posts
Uber,

On the springfield side of the equation don't forget to mention the 2 piece barrel (+ or - you decide)

On the Kimber side, match chambered barrel.

Does the Springfield have the relief cut under the triggergaurd for a higher grip. My Kimber does, to me it is a + although it wouldn't be the deciding factor.

Any mechanical piece can be tight at first, slide stops, mag releases, etc. They will all break-in with use.

I've never owned a Springfield, and there are reasons that are mine. One is the first point above. But I hope you enjoy yours. Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
I have a loaded Springfield and it is a great handgun. I have fired the Kimber Custom II and liked it as well. Either will work well for you. Try them out and get the one that "fits" you best.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
How about a Browning Hi-power Mark III? 9mm or .40 S&W. the barrel is 4.75 inches, a little shorter than you were looking for, but it's a wonderful pistol, i've shot 3 of them myself(2 9mms and a .40.) price on their site says $730
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
169 Posts
44SandW said:
How about a Browning Hi-power Mark III? 9mm or .40 S&W. the barrel is 4.75 inches, a little shorter than you were looking for, but it's a wonderful pistol, i've shot 3 of them myself(2 9mms and a .40.) price on their site says $730
If he's asking about 1911s then he doesn't want a Hi-Power. Might as well suggest a S&W 686. Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
44SandW said:
How about a Browning Hi-power Mark III? 9mm or .40 S&W. the barrel is 4.75 inches, a little shorter than you were looking for, but it's a wonderful pistol, i've shot 3 of them myself(2 9mms and a .40.) price on their site says $730
I looked at Hi-Pos, but they just look terrible. There are too many seams, too many cast parts and well, they just look terrible!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
I looked at Hi-Pos, but they just look terrible. There are too many seams, too many cast parts and well, they just look terrible!

I agree: its a nice gun, but it just looks a little too mass-manufactured to me.

Heres something else to throw into the mix: I own a Gov 1911A1 in 5", and have used a 6" barrel with no problems. I know, it sticks out about an inch, but unless you intend to use this as a carry gun (and from you original post I didn't get that feeling), you don't need to worry about a holster. You can have the end tapped for a compensator, or have a comp job done on the barrell itself if thats the way you want to go.

And this is my point: if you buy a long slide pistol, your pretty much using it just as a target gun. If you stick with a good 5", and by the way I like your choice, then you can not only shoot a 6" 45 barrel, but also that .40 S&W, 9mm, 38 Special, even .22. AND it will fit in a holster!

Just something to consider (like your not getting enough choices!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hunchback said:
I agree: its a nice gun, but it just looks a little too mass-manufactured to me.

Heres something else to throw into the mix: I own a Gov 1911A1 in 5", and have used a 6" barrel with no problems. I know, it sticks out about an inch, but unless you intend to use this as a carry gun (and from you original post I didn't get that feeling), you don't need to worry about a holster. You can have the end tapped for a compensator, or have a comp job done on the barrell itself if thats the way you want to go.

And this is my point: if you buy a long slide pistol, your pretty much using it just as a target gun. If you stick with a good 5", and by the way I like your choice, then you can not only shoot a 6" 45 barrel, but also that .40 S&W, 9mm, 38 Special, even .22. AND it will fit in a holster!

Just something to consider (like your not getting enough choices!)
What else besides the barrel and magazine needs to be changed in a .45 to shoot .40 or 9mm?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
169 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
What else besides the barrel and magazine needs to be changed in a .45 to shoot .40 or 9mm?
If we are still talking 1911, you need to change the slide, barrel, ejector, recoil spring and guide (guide rod optional). The upper half changes are not that big a deal, buy a complete slide barrel etc, and keep it all together, slide one off the other on. The ejector is the pain because they each have to be fit, and they are pinned in. Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I've got a Springfield V16 Longslide that shoots 45 ACP or 45 Super that I use for hunting, concealed carry and range shooting. For normal practice I shoot 230g hardball, for self defense and hunting I shoot 230g Golden Sabre's at 1100 fps. It's very accurate, and reliable. My favorite handgun.



:)

Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
My vote goes to Kimber and Colt. I had a bad experience with a Springfield that had a chamber that was reamed with worn tooling. It was so bad that the case head of factory loads as well as my handloads protruded from the back of the barrel. The disconnect didn't work like it should because it would still fire. Lucky nothing bad happened before I discovered it. I guess the argentinian quality control slipped up on that one. Never a problem with a box stock Colt even before having the barrel throated and polished. But the Kimber is my favorite. Just my opinion and experience.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top