Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to put a new barrel and maybe a new comp on my 1911. Id like to know what experiences you all have had with different barrel brands, my main concerns are of course accuracy and longevity. Id also lik to know which compensater has the best size to effectiveness ratio. Thanks

·
RIP dear friend
12,617 Posts
I've never used a 45 with a compensator on it so can't help you there. As for barrels there's a bunch to choose from and usually more money means a better quality barrel. Keep in mind that it's not just a barrel that determines ultimate accuracy, but the quality and precise fit of the barrel link and the fit of the slide to the frame along with how good a trigger the 45 has.

I'd suggest one of several of the good books on building 45's that Brownells's sells along with obtaining one of their fine catalog. They probably sell more 1911 accurizing equipment than anyone else I know.

Here's there link. Getting around in their catalog is much easier than on their website.

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
A problem with compensators generally is that they shoot muzzle blast to the sides of the gun. If you're using the gun defensively, you may need to shoot with the gun held near your face or body. You want the blast to go out the muzzle, not off to the sides of the gun.

-- Just a thought.

Barrel bushing is the best investment in 1911 accuracy.

Slide to frame fit comes next.

If you have a decent gun, it has a decent barrel. Barrel to slide fit is crucial in a 1911. You have two ridges in the barrel which match ridges in the slide. You need the bearing surfaces in BOTH ridges to mesh. Replacement barrels often engage one set of ridges in the slide but not the second set.

You can build a 1911 from After-market parts. Most are "drop in" fitted. But if you're going for accuracy, the "fit" needs to be tuned by a smith.

I have three Springfield 1911's. They're all box stock, and they're all fine shooters.

Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Unless there is a serious defect in your current barrel, I wouldn't replace it.
As has already been mentioned, fit is important in a 1911. If it were my pistol, I'd have the barrel hood fitted to the slide, and a barrel bushing fitted as well. Tightening the slide/frame fit is good, too. With those things done, I'd expect the factory barrel to shoot as well as any barrel you could buy as an aftermarket drop in, if not better.
Compensators I can't advise you on, as I don't use one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, i didnt know so much accuracy came from fit. The gun hand mady by a friends friend and has only had about 100 rounds through it. All components fit snugly, and the trigger isnt bad (tiny bit of creep, breaks at about 2 pounds) and i was able to get about 3 inch groups at 15 yards offhand with the fixed sights. Ill probably just keep the barrel it has now and not add a comp. However i am looking into slide lightning and a magwell. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
A compensator (muzzle brake) are not very effective in 45 ACP because of the low pressure this round operates. A compensator would be a waste of investment IMHO

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm confused. Did you just contradict yourself or did I miss something? 1st you said is veryu effective and then a waste of investment. Where did I get fliip-flopped?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Why slide lightening?

·
Registered
30 Posts
you did not mention the model - is it a 70 or 80 series - i purchased a cd from midway usa - mainly about disasembly etc- it was from clark - at the end they go into some accurizing ideas- the best thing i did to my 70 series gov't was the full length guide rod after the nm (match )barrel was installed. shoots great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SlickWilly,
What are you trying to change about your 1911? It sounds like you are trying to tame recoil...? The one benefit of full length guide rods is weight. Go with a tungsten guide rod and plug (make sure the plug you get is for the full lenght guide rod, with a hole in the center). Slide lightening reduces slide velocity, are you tuning this for a specific load?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm confused. Did you just contradict yourself or did I miss something? 1st you said is veryu effective and then a waste of investment. Where did I get fliip-flopped?

I edited the post I left out a very important word (not)

·
Registered
30 Posts
the full length guide rail made the gun fire completely different- probably cause it comes with different spring. but does not the guide rail cause a better slide to barrel lock up? i ask this because it appears all play is out now

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The purpose of a full length guide rod is to keep the recoil spring from binding, theoretically anyways. I don't know that anyone has actually documented recoil spring bind though. If you had an National Match installed, your smith should have fit the barrel and that will affect the lock up. He may have also tightened the slide to the frame and fit the bushing tighter. Other than maybe taming some of the recoil, I doubt the FLGR adds anything to accuracy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
then i'll stand corrected on the guide rod - but the nm barrell and the work done definitely transformed the gun - shoots as well as my kimber ecllipse target- i recomend the change- it will transform the gun into a a good shooter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts