Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to buy a model 1911 in 45ACP( Yep I'm forced to buy a 1911 stylepistol Poor Me Right). The choices are many. So many it makes it hard to choose. I have seen and heard many tales of frustration and a lack of confidence on some of the clones. 2 catagories are the ones who have marketed their product and the ones who's product markets it's self. The guy I shoot with has a brand new Kimber custom II. The first box of ammo was PMC FMJ. His pistol malfuntioned many times . His next 2 boxes were lead round nose from magtech . Both boxes and 16 rounds from a box of UMC and no malfuntion. He than tried Winchester Ammo and had Malfunctions again.
My NIB Dbl Eagle 45 ACP, 5 boxes 5 different types and 5 different manufacturer and not one malfunction and very accurate.
Who is Olympic Arms and what type of reputation do they carry?
How about Rock River ?
I also see Charles Daley endorses a Philippine manufacturer of 1911's.
Choice is always good but which Clone? I dont want a Ammo Sensitive high dollar item like the Kimber.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never had a problem with my Springfield .45 or my Colt 10mm. Olympic Arms makes great rifles, don't know about their pistols. As for Charles Daly, they fall into the "they're so cheap that I'm afraid to try them" category.
Good luck with whichever one you choose, and let us know how it turns out.

rt

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own two 1911 style guns and niether have ever failed me therefore my recommendations would be
Series 70 Colt Combat Commander (maybe hard to find)
S&W scandium framed 1911.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My Springfield GI has been very good to me. No problems except with Wolf steel-cased ammunition. That ammo has FTE problems (so I don't use it and problem solved)

My Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II has been kinda iffy. At first it had failure to return to battery issues at times, which I attributed to the Series II safety parts re-engaging just before battery and hanging up. It seems to have been a break-in issue. However, it still sometimes will push-feed a round, which is concerning. I havn't been able to nail this one down just yet. I think it could be a magazine issue.

My NRM Colt Government is impressive. The action is slicker than the stuff that comes out from the tail-feather end of a goose, which tells me that somebody took some care somewhere in fitting stuff together. I can't make this thing not feed. What I mean is that I'll stuff any of my magazines full of Gold Dot hollow points and hand cycle the slide ever-so-slowly, trying to get the bullet to stick against the feed ramp. As I continue to release pressure on the slide, it eventually "breaks" and snaps shut. I dunno if that means anything but my Springer sure can't do that. It only feeds Gold Dots if you really let the slide go home so it can get a running start. To be fair, the Kimber feeds anything perfectly, as well.

Based on the three brand-new Colt Government Models I have been able to examine in the last few months at the shop I work at (including the one I bought), the fact that Colt still uses more bar-stock parts than other manufacturers, "nostalgia" value, the fact that Colt's pistols hold thier value well, and my (limited) shooting experience with this Colt, I say get a Colt.

They say anything else is just a Copy. I didn't believe it until I had a Colt.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Kimber ammo problem my friend has been having seems to be coming up frequently from others also. He has been waiting over 3 weeks for an answer on e-mail like the manual says.
My Dbl Eagle just keeps on hammering away no matter what it is fed. I do like being different from mainstream but I've yet to hear problems from Colt owners no matter Pistol or Revolver.
Army friend just back from Iraq bought a new Springfield and had problems. he was very disappointed , everyone he talked to said break in period. You cant depend your life on hoping that the gun is broke in when you need it. The Beretta's never have a problem.
The Colts seem to be priced just even with the high end clones. Might have to get the Colts and feed them the works.
My Glock 20 in 10mm 1000 rounds (Mixed Cocktail of Ammo)and have never had any failure or malfunction of any kind. I even put a extended(After Market) comp Bbl on it to tame the recoil. This Glock in 10mm is a real powerful pistol. Shoots better than I'm capable of also. I guess I'm spoiled by relieabilty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What exactly is your friends Kimber doing? I compete regularly with one, and have put well over 3000 rounds through it, and I know just about every "issue" the gun has, trust me! I had some issues at first with extraction which was directly related to the overly stiff recoil spring. I may be able to help on this account, just need more detail.

The which 1911 question is a tough one, it's almost a religion. I have had a springfield NM, Kimber and an Auto Ordanance which all turned out to be excellent guns, after some minor modifications. Mil-spec models are good, but you will eventually want some extended features like an ambi safety, a beaver tail grip safety, maybe a trigger job and, of course, better sites. I suggest Kimber SS2's and thats it, the others seem to be over priced marketing fluff. All of the Springers are awesome and the Colts have their place in history as well. Oly imports their guns from another company and I have heard mixed reviews on them. RRA's I haven't been exposed too, but they make a heck of an AR! I would go and hold a few to see which one you like the best, that really what it boils down too, which one you are comfortable with. Don't let anyone tell you differently, if you really get into 1911's - you will have some minor issues, promise. I compete exclusively in IDPA and IPSC with one, and have seen allot of issues with them, all of them! You just have to know what to do when it happens. But even though, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Here is some more info as well:

http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=10297

Go to search, by member, and search my user name crack_shot - I have participated in a good many posts on this same subject, not that I'm right at all, but this will give you a good consolidation of previous 1911 threads.

·
Banned
66 Posts
My vote would be for a Kimber Tactical. I shot 500 rds of FED American Eagle thru mine yesterday. Functioned flawlessly with the Wilson mags. I fired 500 rds thru my new Raptor Pro, too but it didn't impress me as much as the TAC did. Next time I won't shoot them on the same day. I am trying to decide between a TLE and an Eclipse for my next Kimber purchase.

SPAD

·
Banned
367 Posts
Father/Son with Kimber/Springfield

My close friends as described above had this result

Father - Stainless Kimber TLE?

Son - Sprinfield Mil-Spec

The Springfield outshot the Kimber, so they traded pistols
The Springfield still outshot the Kimber.

SO they go to our clubs ransom rest setup

AND

the Springfield still outshot the kimber

Both Stock pistols

Get what you like from a strong company and enjoy !

GO TARHEELS !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is it just me or does everyone else love the " Which 1911" type posts.....I could write a book on the answers alone!

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not bought yet! I have not decided which type to buyyet either. I'm reading evry post that comes up on 1911's and the different types.
It's funny how certain items or things can help me settle on one choice and than again end up confusing all the choices.
I will say right up front that I'm a rookie when it comes to shooting handguns correctly. I have spent many years developing bad habits and mental barriers when it came to Marksmanship and handguns.
I hooked up with an instructor and it's really paying off. Todays group was shot at 12yards with a S&W 5943 DAO 9mm. 15 rounds (High Capacity Mag)with both hands and one finger pulling the trigger back at about 1 second between shots and I have a 15 shot 2" group with that S&W 5943. To date that is the best that I have done.
If I were to pick right now tonight it would be the S&W 1911 Sc in the 4.25" version. If the S&W 1911 is anything like this 5943 which is DAO; than I would bet money that their S&W 1911 single action would have let me shoot a possible 1.00" + group today at 12yrds. I dont know if 2.00" at 12-15yrds is anything to get excited about; But people stopped and watched and said "nice group, who makes that gun?
I'm having fun now!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
My choice is the Colt 1991A1 Stainless. Only problem was the rear sight fell out after ~250 rounds. It was a good reason to upgrade to Trijicon sights. Other than the sights and a couple of recoil springs (light one for target rounds, heavy one for full power) the gun is stock. Whichever one you get, I recommend the Wilson Shock Buffers, not the kit, just the buffers. They save a little wear on the gun, especially with the heavier loads.

Don't get me wrong, Springfield, S&W, and Kimber make fine guns, as do several others out there. But my money went for the Colt and I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sabre said:
*cough* COLT *cough*
Oh, excuse me. I--uh--had an itch in my throat...:D
After reading all the responses, I think this is a good place to go on to other subjects.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had a Kimber Classic Royal (series I)and Kimber UCII (series II) with no malfunctions on any ammo I have put through them. They each have over 1000 rounds through them.

·
Banned
369 Posts
I had a Colt gold cup national match pistol. The pistol was very nice cosmetically however the slide was very loose (Colts seem to be all loose). I got the idea to send it back to them for a tune up. They wanted more $$ then I wanted to spend. I decided to trade it for a Kimber Team match II pistol. The price of this pistol was $1150 but I think it was an excellent value. This pistol will easily out shoot my top of the line Colt hands down. I also own a 2 year old SW1911. For the money, ($650) these are also a good buy. There are 2 things with 1911 pistols most new shooters are not aware of, 1. You must have a firm grip or the pistol may not cycle. Blame the shooter and not the gun when this happens. 2 Sometimes you need to try a different mag, If you have a faulty mag the gun may have FTF issues.

·
Banned
19 Posts
I have a Kimber Custom II that I have shot probably 1000 rounds through and never had malfunction problems. Some writers and manufacturers suggest a breakin' period of shooting and cleaning before you bet your life on it, good idea. From what I've read, a NIB Kimber that malfunctions could be it isn't lubricated right (Kimber's are tight and need to be "greased") or try Wilson Combat mags (You should no matter what you buy). When I bought my Kimber, it was sitting in the store for awhile being shown to people. When I got it home, I couldn't even pull the slide back, it was bone dry. Anyway, I disassembled it, followed to cleaning regiment and then the break-in procedure and it's been sailing along ever since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts