Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always Want To Own A 1911. It Seams Like Every Gun Manufacture Is Making One These Days. It’s Hard To Decide What I Should Get. If That Wasn’t Bad Enough They Have Many Different Modules To Choose From. I Like To Get A Full Size 1911. No Compact Or Subcompact. Must Be Accurate With Easy Trigger Pull. . (dose Any One Have The New Sig Sauer 1911? If So How Is It.) Need Help On Deciding What Is The Best From A Shooters Point Of View.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Well, your going to here a lot of different opinions and the only one that will count is yours. I have shot Colt, Springfield, Kimber and Lama full size 45ACP 1911 pistols. My personal preference is my Springfield mil-spec I up graded with all Wilson combat parts. You name it I got it. I sold my Kimber Stainless Target II when I got the Springfield. The Springfield out shot my fancy Kimber. Colt also makes a fine 1911. The choice will have to be your. Good luck in your search. :D

·
Banned
169 Posts
Clark Custom
Les Bear
Bill Laughridge
Larry Vickers
Bill Wilson
STI
SVI
Krebbs (can't remember the first name).
Teddy Jacobson
Mark Morris
And many more, all depends how much you want to spend, and what kinds of parts you want to accept. Sean

·
Banned
378 Posts
WPROMAN said:
Redhawk1 -- When You Say Out Shot By How Much? Please Tell Me More.

I shot at 25 yards with both guns. Side by side, same load, the same day. My groups with the Kimber were 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups. The Springfield kept under a 1 1/2 inch group. I thought it was just me, but my shooting buddy shot both guns and also shot better with the Springfield. That was before I did all the Wilson combat parts installation. I put a 2 piece guide rod, new sear, a skeleton hammer, beaver tail, competition trigger, extended mag well, extended slide stop, and Hogue grips and new barrel bushing. All the parts I installed were stainless parts to make the gun look 2 tone. I have as much invested in the Springfield as I did in my Kimber. But the Standard Mil-spec Springfield worked just fine and it was right at $500.00. At 15 yards the Springfield shoots 1 inch groups consistently. I just know this gun is in my collection to stay. :D

·
Banned
169 Posts
Not wanting to start a p*ss*ng contest here but saying that Springfields are more accurate than Kimbers or any other brand because that gun shot one load better on one day is silly. Sean

·
Registered
872 Posts
The one that I have finally settled on after many years of looking for an adequate 1911 was Kimber.

It is match accurate, and service reliable.

Steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Redhawk1,
I shot at 25 yards with both guns. Side by side, same load, the same day. My groups with the Kimber were 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups.
I own a Kimber Super Match (bought new 2 years ago). At 25yds, it benchrest shoots groups just under 1-1/4". Actually, it typically shoots a group of 4 within 1/2" and 1-flyer that reaches out to near that 1-1/4". I typically use Federal Premium Gold Medal ammo:
... GM45B
... 185gr
... FMJ SWC Match.
The Kimber website shows they've upgraded my model to the Super Match II.

Bill

·
Banned
378 Posts
LoneEagle said:
Not wanting to start a p*ss*ng contest here but saying that Springfields are more accurate than Kimbers or any other brand because that gun shot one load better on one day is silly. Sean
If you noticed I said my personal preference or did you miss that when you eyes clouded over in disgust. Go back and read both of my posts. I gave my opinion of MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. You will see I compared my 2 guns. I never once said my Springfield was more accurate than all Kimbers and or any other brands. So before you accuse me of something please read and comprehend what I wrote before you cast stones. By the way, I carry bolders. :rolleyes:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Gentlemen,

Let's keep this a civil conversation. Respect the opinions of others without it heating to a boil. This can be a very constructive thread and I would hate to see it locked prematurely.

Bill Lester,

·
Banned
378 Posts
Bill Lester said:
Gentlemen,

Let's keep this a civil conversation. Respect the opinions of others without it heating to a boil. This can be a very constructive thread and I would hate to see it locked prematurely.

Bill Lester,

No problem Bill. It is a very good subject.

·
Registered
598 Posts
i have always been partial to colts just for the sheer number of years colt has been making 1911s, but colt has not made much of an attempt to keep their share of the market lately. with the number of quality 1911s available, colt is gonna have to get in gear. it seems to be a buyers market for good .45s.

monty

·
Registered
162 Posts
My only experience so far is with kimber and I have no complants at all. I think it boils down to how much are you going to shoot it? and how much do you want to spend? If it is going to be mostly a carry gun, I dont think you need to spend 3000 bucks on a custom 1911 when a standard springfield or kimber will fit the bill nicely for well under a grand. I shoot IDPA every month with mine and just love it. I would like to have a custom gun, but so far I cant justify spending that much for one when the one I have does everything I want it too.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Bill Conrad said:
Bill Lester, Redhawk 1,

Guys ... nice work!
You just demonstrated the civil behavior that was lacking at Marlin Talk.

Bill

I see this board as a privilege and would not like to jeopardize my use of it.

·
Registered
366 Posts

I really can't comment on different brands of 1911's. I shoot a Colt series 70 for 25+ yrs. I have had a couple of Smiths work on it, fine tuning for my wants, and probably put +$250 more in it. At first it was terrible, but better than what I shot in the service. My point is any quality 1911 can be a shooter, IMHO.
Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Norinco 1911 .45ACP

WPROMAN,

You asked the question and I just can't resist. I have never owned any of the 1911s mentioned on this thread. I have always been happy with my Browning HiPower 9mm and my 1942 German 9mm Luger with original holster (Granfather's WWII bring back).

However, I had an opportunity to buy a used Norinco 1911 .45ACP pistol with a couple of clips last year for $200. Understand that this 1911 is a full size pistol that looks exactly like any WWII 1911 in .45ACP.

I had never even heard of a Chinese made Colt 1911 copy before. Well, apparently, the Chinese got their hands on a set of blueprints and the rest is history. They seem to do that alot...I think Norinco stopped making this pistol in 1996.

In any event, I ended up teflon coating (my hobby) the weapon due to some slight pitting on the slide and everything else is stock. ALL parts are 100% identical to a Colt or Springfield Armory 1911. The pistol actually looks good now. I added the 1911 Hogue grips and Chip McCormick 10 round clips and nothing else for now.

The only info I really wanted to share with you is that IF you want an accurate 1911 do NOT buy the Norinco. I'm pretty accurate to about 15 yards. After that I'm in pie plate territory IF I have a rest. IF I were to drop in the usual accurizing components I know I could improve but it serves my purpose just fine right now.

I also know that the weapon has NEVER jammed on me or anyone else that has shot it and I am grateful for that. This thing eats Russian Wolf 230grFMJ all day long. I think the reliability, however, is a trademark of almost all 1911s.

Whichever 1911 you choose will give you years of great reliable service. What you will be paying for, in my opinion, is accuracy and performance.

You never stated your budget and that's important. How much you are willing to spend will determine where you can shop.

Good Luck in your pursuit...

One Shot, One Kill,

JP

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've had a Kimber Gold Match Stainless for a while now.

After buying it went with the gun shop owner, whom I introduced to Kimber, (and had to twist his arm to get him to order it for me,) and we shot his tricked-out Sprinfield, a stock Colt Gold Cup, and my NEW Kimber. Between the Colt and the Kimber it was no contest. The Kimber felt and shot better for both of us. His tricked-out Springfield FELT better to me, but I could shoot better groups with the Kimber. He shot the same groups with both. Considering his Springfield was a $2500 + pistol and he's had lots of experience with it, and the Kimber came out to a little over $1000, with shipping, taxes and registration, he was mightily impressed!

He's a convert now, and about half of the 1911's he sells now at his gun shop are Kimbers.

By the way, I miss Marlin Talk.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts