Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a young 2nd Lt. in Germany in the early 60's I was issued the poorest 1911 in the arms room. It was rough and worn but I shot it with great goodness. Qualified Expert the first time I shot it.
While looking thru a gun auction site a couple of weeks ago, I saw my gun. 1911 A1 made by Singer Sewing Machine Co.
I should have stolen it from Uncle because it was listed at $33,000.
Another one I let get away.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Know what you mean

I have my Dad's 1911, not A-1, this one was made in 1913- 1914. He was issued this piece in 1938 and carried through out his carreer. It went with him on the Doolittle Toyko Raid, then to Europe, back home from the war and was carried on his various assignments.
It had it's slide replaced because of the rust caused during his stay with the Chinese. The original slide was blued rather then Parkerized. The barrel was shot also, so it was replaced.
Jim

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My father was never interested in guns. Because eveyone else was doing it, he "liberated" a Nambu with holster and two magazines, all with matching serial numbers. I wanted to shoot it but was told it is really much ado about very little. It sets on top of my dresser.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Last time I was issued a M1911A1 was in Germany 88-90. I was on my companies pistol team and we had one Captain that still had a older M1911. Our 4 man team would also bring home the Commaders Cup from the Battalion. Those thropies are stil on display next building over from me now. (Now I'm up at Battalion and have a M9)(The battalion also moved 12 years ago)

·
Banned
15 Posts
Only 500 Singers were made and delivered just before we got into WWII. Ther are about 100 known to exist right now. Most were issued to Army Air Force crews in the Pacific. I know of one gun that was taken out of an NVA vehicle during the Nam war.

Currently, my brother has a Singer that was refinished and marked by Rock Island Arsenal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob,
Mine was issued from the arms room of the 2nd Battalion, 35th Artillery in Bamberg, Germany in 1962. It has been used well.

I saw a drop dead beautiful 9 mm Star copy of a 1911 in Vietnam. It appeared to be about 3/4 scale. Everybody that saw it wanted it but it wound up in the Commanding Generals office of 2 Field Force Vietnam. It came off of a "blonde" Vietnamese. Never identified the individual. The assumtion was that he was a Russian advisor.

·
Banned
15 Posts
That was probably a Star model BK or the alloy framed BKM.
This is a very nice pistol, sized right for the 9mm. Jeff Cooper says that if you must have a 9mm, this is the gun.
These guns are still around on the used gun market but you seldom see one. The people who have them keep them I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts