Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 1911 that I bought about a year ago, and love it! Went to clean it today after shooting the 250th shot through it the other day and the rear sight fell out. I'm sure Springfield would fix the problem if I ***** about it, but it doesn't seem worth spending the cost of shipping. Is there an easy fix? Should I just put some lock-tite on it and hope it stays? If I do that, will I be able to adjust it if it is off? Or would you send it back and make them fix it to prove a point?

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
It depends

The rear sight should fit into a dovetail. Lock-tite is probably not the right fix. I have tightened up dovetails on muzzleloader barrels by tapping them with a small mallet and reinstalling the sight. I would call Springfield and see what they recommend. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

·
Banned
637 Posts
Depending on how much slop there is you can hit the bottom of the dovetail slot with a center punch a few times to turn up some material. You can also shim the bottom of the sight with some sheet brass if there's enough room. Gently tapping the top of the dovetail slot with a nylon or brass punch can tighten things up but you don't end up with a lot of surface in contact.

If you find the rear sight is too tight to drive back in, put it in the freezer for a few minutes so it will contract.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Little dab of epoxy. Just make sure it's where you want it!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd say you have 3 options:

1) I'd probably send it back, but I have others to use while its gone....

2) Easy way out: home gunsmithing. I would probably shim it or maybe even braze a little brass on the sight base.

3) Take it to a gunsmith. At this point, I might even consider replacing the GI sights.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy to report that I contacted Springfield and they apologized for the malfunction and will be paying shipping both ways to fix the problem. Have to say, after my dealings i the past with Kahr's customer service this was a pleasant surprize. With them I would be on hold forever, only to be forced to leave a message, and maybe getting a call back days later.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I figured Springfield would do that, but I would probably upgrade to a Novak Lo Profile adjustable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts