Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to purchase a 1911 and have been looking at all of the following models. With so many to choose from can anyone offer some advice in narrowing my search down to the best model to get?

Springfield TRP, Springfield Loaded, Kimber Tactical Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II, Kimber Royal II, Kimber Custom II, Smith & Wesson Model SW1911,
Charles Daly Field EFS.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Kimbers have nice triggers, Springfields are all forged, Smiths have external extractors, and the Charles Daly has the price advantage. Otherwise they are all about the same quality.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just bought a TRP Operator about a month ago. I can't speak for the others but so far I love it. The trigger feels so much better than my Glock. I would say try to hold each of them if you can, then compare the features that you want and see which fits you best and fits your budget best. Gook Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
external extractors on the Smith

Are the external extractors on the Smith a good thing or a bad thing?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I like the Para Ordance extractor a lot more, but generally a good thing. The best thing about S&W is the Scandium framed guns.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
I've always been a fan of Springfield, on my second one now. Out of the box, you are getting a gun with all the goodies, but also paying for it.

Did you consider the Taurus? Loaded up with custom parts for about 500 bucks. a buddy of mine just purchased one so as not to beat up his Gold cup [beat up....Hahaha] and his comments were that is shot as well if not better than his fancy gold cup.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'vw been discussing this very subject with a good friend of mine in order to best serve to give some advice to my nephew who is bound and determined to make the purchase of a good 1911 style .45 one of the seminal acts of his life after his 21st birthday, and the discussions have been pretty interesting.

One of the first aspects of the discussion is money - how much is he willing to spend. If money is no object, find what you like from Kimber or Springfield in terms of size, finish and sighting options and send it to someone like Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide and have them work it over - once it's returned, you'll have one heck of a .45 - a keeper for life.

My nephew has been looking hard at Kimbers and he wants the Gold Match II in stainless. MSRP on that bad boy is $1400, but he's willing to spend that to get what he wants. Me, I'm checking out the Kimber Custom II in matte black. It has most of the functional features of the Gold Match II, but the price tag ($795 MSRP) is considerably lower. Effectively it's half price, but I don't think that it's half the gun.

I'm going to watch this thread with interest because I want to see what information comes out of it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I just bought a stainless Smith 1911. With the $100 rebate, it was very price competitive to the Taurus and basic Springfields, while coming well equipped. I have yet to shoot it, but everything about it shows exceptional quality, fit, and finish.

·
Banned
86 Posts
I'm in the same position you are but my budget is a little less. let me tell you what one of the guys at my dealer siad about taurus. he said that he looked over the taurus 1911 (this is a guy who shoots 1911's competitively) and said the only good thing about them is the heinie sights. he also said that he doesnt like carrying taurus in his shop because their customer service is terrible. i think that you have several other companies listed that make a better product and have better customer service.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Another thing you will have to deceide is whether you want full size, long slide, Commander sized, officer's sized, or even the new mini's....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have a Springfield Ultra Compact which is hands down my favorite handgun, out of the 27 I own. Also have a fullsize Springfield which functions flawlessly. Have shot Kimbers a lot and they are outstanding.

The Ultra Compact carries easily, fits my hand well and has never jammed in 6 years. My buddy with the high dollar Kimber has had trouble feeding it at times. I think his will go to the factory for some work.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
At my action pistol practice last night was a new guy that was absolutely raving about his Kimber, it was the finest pistol ever made and it could out shoot anybody else there. This guy would not shut up. Pretty much everybody was getting sick of this guy... he didn't even bring the pistol to shoot. Another guy that did have a Kimber was also new. He wasn't quite as mouthy, but I don't think he'd ever shot this gun before.

The bottom line, whatever you pick, don't be afraid to shoot it and practice with it often.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Be sure to put in a Match Grade Barrel..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
S&W Model SW1911 Pistol SKU: 108285

Thanks for the feedback. I had the oppertunity to handle a few 1911's and tending to go towards the S&W Model SW1911 Pistol SKU: 108285. I like the clasic look and it looks like a nice gun. Any feedback on the particular model would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts