Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANYONE HUNTING WITH A 1911? I AM CURRENTLY USING A SIX INCH LONGSLIDE WITH HEAVY .45 LOADS. INTERESTED IN LOADS AND PERFORMANCE ON GAME.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Vandy,

I hunt groundhogs with my 1911.....light hollow points at close range...... walk through the hay fields "at-the-ready" and jump shoot them as they run for cover.

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Indeed!

I use a somewhat slicked up 1911A1 using our BTB .452"-255gWFNPB bullet over 7.0g AA #5 in Starline Brass for a load just over 900 fps. I use a 22# recoil spring and shock buffer bushing and the load feeds 100% and shoots the best of any load I've put through the gun. Leaves golf-ball sized holes THROUGH deer sized game at the 50 yard or so ranges it's been employed. A true sledgehammer load for the 1911's without punishing either gun or shooter.

Interestingly, mine shoots to the exact point of aim with this load as with 230g ball ammo.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS, FOR THE INFORMATION, I AM USING A SIMILAR BULLET PUSHING A 265 WFN AT ROWLAND TYPE PRESSURES OUT OF A SIX INCH LONGSLIDE. I HAVE 100% RELIABILITY AND GREAT ACCURACY AS WELL, ALTHOUGH MY VELOCITY IS HITTING 1400 FPS USING POWER PISTOL. ANY COMMENTS AS TO THE MAXIMIUM SIZE GAME THIS LOAD WILL WORK ON.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Springfield LongSlide in 45 ACP and 45 Super. I shoot 230g Golden Sabre's at 1100 fps. It's reliable and accurate. It's my self defense gun (CCW and back country handgun). I haven't hunted with it, but I'd feel comfortable hunting deer or black bear with it.

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts