Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a U.S. Army 1917 Colty 45 revlover that I inherited. My grandfather told me at the time not to use the modern day ACP rounds in it, that it couldn't handle that kind of power.

I am trying to find out any info on getting rounds for that gun. Now my ignorance on this model is somewhat limiting and everything I have seen on the gun's model say 45 ACP. Can it handle normal ACP or is there a special type I should be looking for?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,226 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had one of these for a number of years and shot standard 45 ACP ammo out of it. I don't think I would shoot any of the +P ammo but as long as you stay within standard pressures, most factory ammo will work. I definately wish I had not sold it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Military ball .45 ammo today is the same stuff it was in 1917, and any standard-pressure 230 gr. factory load will be essentially equivalent to the military stuff. A Colt or S&W 1917 in good shape will eat such ammo like candy, no problem.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
. . . as long as you stay within standard pressures, most factory ammo will work. . .
Ditto that. .45 ACP operating pressure was established a long time ago so if you stay within standard pressure, you should not experience any problems with your 1917 Colt revolver. BTW, you will need half or full moon cartridge clips if you intend to eject your empties using the ejector rod otherwise you will be poking them out of the chambers with some kind of stick. .45 Auto Rim cartridges (if you can find them) will also work without the need for cartridge clips.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I own a custom 1917 that I had rebarreled/rechambered to 45 Colt. It functions flawlessly if I use reasonable loads. It's a very accurate pistol !!! Yours should work well with factory pressure loads. HD1

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The Army is still loading the 230 gr FMJ to the same specs as it set forth in 1911! Here's a 1916 dated Colt lower up to A1 specs that I carried in 08'.

Standard .45 ACP should be fine in your old 1917.

CD

·
Banned
502 Posts
The 1917 is a classic pistols, you can shoot it with moon clips or auto rim ammo. It's like the 1911, they are still made. This shows that the designs were sound.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts