Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here great forum. Inherited 1926 Win 94 saddle ring carbine in great condition. Would like to do a scout scope mount but all mfg seem to require drilling & tapping to install the mount. Will this ruin the value of the gun? Is the gun worth enough to worry about? Thanks Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rich, It sounds as if you have a nice little Winchester there. If it has survived this long without extra holes drilled in it, it would be a shame to have the holes drilled now. Yes it would reduce the value by 25-50%. A '94 Winchester saddle ring carbine value in good shape starts at approximately $500 and goes up from there. Preserve the condition the best you can but enjoy it. There are a lot of other '94's that have been drilled and tapped for scopes that can be bought for under $200 if you want one scoped. A scope also hurts the balance of a Winchester '94 and are awkward to use. I would buy a Lyman or Marble's tang sight, your Winchester is already tapped for these. A tang sight is quicker than the buckhorn rear and almost as easy to use, with old eyes, as a scope. These sights can be purchased new for less than $100. An older tang sight may run a little more but will increase the value of your old rifle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Win71. I checked out the Lyman & the Marbles.Lyman has no windage adjustment. Is this important? Especially for sighting in? I'd prefer the lyman because Cabelas sells it & its about $50.00 cheaper. Please advise. Thanks......Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rich, I shoot with a Lyman tang sight on two different rifles, a Winchester Model 64 built in 1938 and a Winchester Model 94 built in 1924. The tang sight mounts in existing holes on your rifle that are in theory on the same centerline/plane as the rifle's bore. There may be a slight difference which can be corrected by moving the front sight for windage adjustment. To move the bullet impact left move the front sight right and vice versa. The tang sight is very simple to use. Don't make the mistake that some make (myself previously included) by trying to center the front bead in the aperature and aligning with target. It is easier than that, just look through the aperature and place the front bead on the target. Your eye naturally finds the center of your rear sight without having to think about it. The center is where the light is strongest coming through the sight so it automatically focuses there. Once I figured this out I was very deadly with the combination. I can now shoot as well with a tang sight as with a scope at distances of 100 yards or less which is the perfect range for a 30-30 or similar cartridge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rich, I read your original post again, noticing that your '94 is a '26 SRC. It probably has a blade front sight pinned to a stationary lug. Your windage adjustment for a Lyman tang sight (if needed) would be by placing shim stock under the tang sight base. Place under right side of base to move bullet left and so on. Use thin shims because the windage correction gained for a .001" shim would be approximately .010-.012" horizontal movement of the sight if the sight were elevated to a 100 yard zero. This should change the impact of your bullet about 2 " right or left, depending on which side of the base you placed the shim. You will have to play with this a little because by placing the shim under the base you will of course change not only horizontal position of the sight but the vertical location as well. I didn't have to shim either of my Winchester's but some need it done. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Win71 you know your Winchesters. Mine does have a pinned fixed blade front sight.The thought of spending time & money(on ammo) to shim a Lyman doesn't appeal to me.I rarely get "lucky" on projects like this.Is there any known down side to the Marble sight? Thanks...Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rich, The Marble's tang sight is a fine sight just a little higher priced than the Lyman for the new models. It has the advantage of windage adjustment and I believe it has a locking collar to maintain the elevation adjustment once attained. My brother has an old '94 rifle with an old Marble's tang sight in his collection. Personally I think the Marble's is a better sight with less hassle if can overlook the higher price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Win71 advice like yours is invaluable. I have used forums for 10-22 advice,shotgun & duck hunting advice, atv selection & various home repair & garden equip advice. God bless all forum participants. Thanks again....Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rich, You're welcome, I hope this sight works for you ! Let me know how things turn out on your Winchester. I hope you have as much fun with your old '94 as I have had with mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts