Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to hunting and bought this from a nurse who got it in a divorce for $300. It has a 3-9 Redfield scope. A very pretty rifle with a few minor scratches. Neither of us knew what it was worth. Now that I've done some research and found out it is a desireable rifle, should I continue to use it to go after axis deer and feral goats, or put it away for posterity as a collector's item?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Since it has been used before I would continue to hunt with it. However I would be careful using it. Only you can judge how careful you are with your firearms. Some should never take anything afield but the ratist piece of crap because thats how they treat things. Others can use something for years and you would swear its right out of the box. There was more than one made and unless its something that its only one or several of you will never get big money saving it.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
You paid perhaps one fifth of what it's worth, so be ten times as careful with it! In the world of bolt-action rifles, that is an absolute gem. Whatever you do, DON'T try to "fix" those scratches! Keep it as pristine and original as you can.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Absolutely you should use it! It was not made to sit in a gun case, cabinet or safe. It was made (and made very well) to be shot and enjoyed. I happen to have a 1952 M70 in 30/06 that is a real shooter. The action on mine is smooth as silk, nicer than any other model 70 I've ever owned. I just wished I'd bothered to ask about some of it's history from the fella I bought it from about ten years ago......:confused::confused:

Enjoy that rifle!!!:D:D:D

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
Another vote to use it

I have several pre-'64 Winchesters and use them and take care of them. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Nice try, Zeke...that was his one and only post, two and a half months ago. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some years back the "American Rifleman" had an article about Winchester Model 70 serial number 1. It was discovered in one of the upper Western states.... Wyoming or Montana I think. It had seen extensive service as the exterior wear testified but it was still a good serviceable rifle as it's owner(s) had not abused it. As I recall, it was chambered in 30-06 which seems appropriate.

I see no reason why you shouldn't use your rifle for the purpose it was intended. Treat it as you would any nice rifle and you'll keep it in fine condition while having the pleasure of carrying and shooting one of the best hunting rifles ever made. Even the Redfield scope is excellent if it's not been damaged or broken in some way. I used a couple of 2~7x32 Redfield scopes back in the day and was never disappointed in them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts