Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I recently inherited a 1971 Winchester NRA Centennial Musket - but it's been missing it's front site for a very, very long time.

Anyone able to accurately measure the height of the plain blade front sight dovetailed into the barrel? the supplier I have contacted wasn't able to find part numbers or heights for the sights dovetailed into the barrel such as this. Any known part numbers would be great to know as well.

thanks!

leif

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Welcome, lief !

If all else fails, you can determine the correct front sight blade height by yourself, via measuring.

1) Measure the existing rear sight's sighting notch (with the sight in the middle of it's elevation range) height above the top of the barrel there.

2) To that measurement, add 1/2 the outside barrel diameter there (you can measure it horizontally, w/o removing the stock).

3) Measure the muzzle OD, then divide that measurement by 3.

4) Subtract two thirds of the muzzle OD measurement from step 2&3 above to arrive at the proper height for a front sight mounted directly in a barrel dovetail.

I no longer have the NRA Musket, but IIRC, your final front sight measurement should end up being about .700" (+/-)

Reactions: Lever30

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Somebody - I forget whom - made a plastic "front sight" that looked like an inverted golf tee. You could put one in a standard 3/8" dovetail and trim it down till it gave the correct point of impact, and then order a real front sight. I'm thinking it was the original Ashley Outdoors, but no idea if I have any of them around the place.

Hoping that jars the memory of another forum member. It would be an easy way to test for sure.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Somebody - I forget whom - made a plastic "front sight" that looked like an inverted golf tee. You could put one in a standard 3/8" dovetail and trim it down till it gave the correct point of impact, and then order a real front sight. I'm thinking it was the original Ashley Outdoors, but no idea if I have any of them around the place.

Hoping that jars the memory of another forum member. It would be an easy way to test for sure.

Yes, XS Sights (used to be AO) does/did, and IIRC also Skinner Sights - but AFAIK, since the plastic posts are not online, one must phone them about obtaining the try-sight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As it has a ladder sight - i'm a bit confused how to Measure the existing rear sight's sighting notch (with the sight in the middle of it's elevation range) height. do i do it without the ladder in play using the folded down buckhorns, or with the ladder up and the elevation adjustment at the midpoint?

thanks for clarifying

leif

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Since the ladder's function is to be raised for longer-range shots, I would suggest you measure from the bottom of the sighting notch with the ladder down/folded to the top of the barrel, then add 1/2 the barrel OD there to the height to arrive at the total height above the bore C/L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts