Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger 44 Carbine, pre-warning, that judging by the serial number was manufactured in 1971. After I got it home and loaded up some ammo for it I can not get anything I try to cycle through it. It would not eject the spent cartridge so i took it apart and cleaned and oiled it by the book then re-assembled it. Now it smoke stacks, not ejecting the cartridge all the way out of the action. I am using a 240 gr. jacked soft point bullet and have tried it behind 9.4 grains of Unique as well as behind 19.5 grains of 2400 and still having the issue. I have checked my OAL and are good on that. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this? Could it be an issue with the gun? Any suggestion will help. Thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Back in the day, I owned one of the earlier Ruger .44M carbines.

Never had any problem with ejection. Used healthy loads of H-110 and CCI 350M primers with both 200 gr and 240 gr bullets. This semi-auto needs strong loads to operate properly.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Back in the day, I owned one of the earlier Ruger .44M carbines.

Never had any problem with ejection. Used healthy loads of H-110 and CCI 350M primers with both 200 gr and 240 gr bullets. This semi-auto needs strong loads to operate properly.
I had one of those and bought it at a gun show, actually it was a trade. I had the same problem. It seems the owner never cleaned it and I had to take the receiver apart and with a solvent used for cleaning tools. There was so much grime on the ejector it would stick open. Once I had cleaner it well it worked find with both H-110 and 2400. From then on, a normal cleaning kept it working fine. I think you are right about the load should be on the heavy side.

Oh yes, forgot, you can use too much oil!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I oil it only as the owners manual stated and where it said it needed. I will try taking it apart again. When I disassembled it I was surprised it was not as dirty as I thought it might be. I am really at a loss here.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Had One

Back in the early 80's I had the Deerfield carbine. It was a pre warning model also. I used a healthy dose of H110 behind a 240gr something or another. It shot well after it was completely disassembled and cleaned by me.

At the time I made some extra money operating a small weapon cleaning,minor repair,and scope mounting business. Some of the ugliest and dirtiest weapons that I ever got were the Remington 7400's and 7600's. Also right up there was the Ruger Deerfields. Something about the big ol' hole where you stuffed the ammo in attracted all kinds of dirt,grit,pine needles,grass,etc.

So.....I'd say a good cleaning and a powerful hand load or factory load and you should be all set. Mine was very picky about a reduction in power. Come down almost any amount from max and the weapon would not cycle. ----pruhdlr

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Never could get my Deerfield too work with the recommended bullet weight in factory loadings. Finally in desperation tried lighter bullets than those recommended with a stout load of VV powder loaded to there manuals loads and everything started working fine. Since then doing some experimentation it appears there is a very narrow window within which it will operate. Be above or below that window and it will have every conceivable problem rear its ugly head.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK that also gives me some great info to work with. I have not tried a lighter bullet. After cleaning it I will try some different bullets with different stout loads of 2400 and see where I get. I am getting closer now because I can get it to partially eject, smoke stacking. What are some of the loads that work for everyone in your Deerfield?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Seems you're hung up on the 2400 powder. When it runs out, might give the Hodgdon H-110 a try. Burns a little dirty and requires a mag primer to light off (no problem in the 44 Mag) but it sure responds well in the big mag case.

BTW - think the "Deerfield" name came recently. The older name of mine was "Deerslayer" until Ithaca sued Ruger over the name and it had to be changed.

·
Banned
484 Posts
Hate to be a party pooper but I owned 3 of those carbines in the past and couldn't get any of them to work right. You might try some factory 240 gr. jacketed loads in it if you can and see how they work. When the carbine was designed and manufactured, 240 gr. loads were just about the only thing available in .44 Mag., and if it will work with anything, it will work with them. I do agree that your loads should be pretty warm to operate the action.

There are certain parts (like the "feed throat" if I recall correctly) that can wear with age and cause functioning problems. If the factory loads don't work, a trip to the gunsmith may be in order.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
> I am using a 240 gr. jacked soft point bullet and have tried it behind 9.4 grains of Unique as well as behind 19.5 grains of 2400 and still having the issue.

There's your problem, right there -- the powder goes behind the bullet! :) (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I will try some H110 next I just was wanting to use it since I had bought it for this gun and as if right now have no ther use for it. I will keep tinkering with it and if I can not get it to work it will be making a trip to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I shoot 270 gr jsp with a good stiff charge of H-110 in mine and have had no problems with it since I found out that casy boolits are not it's friend. I get 2" groups @ 100 yds with this load. Good enough to bag Elk with!
Make sure your piston is clean and oiled and don't shoot cast boolits through it and you should have no problems.
Good shooting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I appreciate the replies we will see what happens with a another cleaning and some load experiments. I just bought a Ruger Deerfield also today. We will see if it is as picky with ammo as my 44 carbine. It should be here next week. I'm excited.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Making sure the rifle is clean is good advice with any semi auto.
Check to see that the chamber is clean and not pitted.
For the sake of not overlooking the forehead slapping obvious, while you have it apart for cleaning, check to make sure the piston is installed correctly. IIRC it was possible to put the piston in backwards on the old Ruger 44 semi auto rifles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Deerslayer not ejecting

I have a rifle like yours. It started to smokestack and after examining it I found the ejector was loose. I took the action out of the stock and found the screw that held the ejector in place was loose. I took a screw driver to it and it has been perfect ever since. Hope this is all that is wrong with yours.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.